Feb 5, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Jim Edmonds surprised many around the game by signing a minor league contract with the Cardinals yesterday. The 40-year-old outfielder was limited down the stretch last season due to a left Achilles injury, but he decided to return for his 18th major league season after undergoing surgery to repair the tendon last month.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said that Edmonds is no lock for the team.
“There is still some uncertainty about where he is physically. I’m not writing him in any way yet. It’s an opportunity.”
Edmonds will still have to pass a physical early next week. He could earn $1 million if he spends the entire season with the team.
If healthy, we know Edmonds can still rake. After sitting out the entire 2009 season, he batted .276/.342/.504 with 11 home runs and 23 RBI in 272 plate appearances between the Brewers and Reds last season. He was also just as useful as ever against right-handed pitching, batting .285 with nine homers and an .871 OPS over 200 at-bats.
It’s hard to really get worked up over a minor league deal, as Edmonds could prove to be a pretty capable backup outfielder for the club. He would also give Tony LaRussa one more reason to bench Colby Rasmus on occasion. And let’s face it, that always makes for excellent blog-fodder.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 0
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 78
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 35
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (115)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)