Feb 5, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Haven’t we been through this whole song and dance before?
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has spoken with multiple sources with direct knowledge of the Rockies’ situation, who tell him that the Rangers have not re-opened talks for Michael Young.
The Rockies are interested, mind you, but they would want the Rangers to eat $20 million, if not more, in order to get a deal done. As of now, nothing doing.
1:01 PM: Ken Rosenthal has updated his report from last night, adding that the Rangers are only talking to the Rockies about Young and that a deal could be in place by as soon as Monday.
The Rockies’ latest proposal for Young includes infielder Jose Lopez, though Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that as of right now, the club is not willing to include Aaron Cook in the deal. Stay tuned.
Olney went even further in his column this morning, writing that “something has changed in the relationship between the player and the team.” Adrian Beltre and Mike Napoli are probably two pretty good hints.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing a couple different takes on the situation, with one source telling him that talks with the Rockies have reached an “advanced stage,” while others say that the club is not convinced that the Rangers want to move him.
Meanwhile, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that as of Friday, the Rangers haven’t reached out to the Rockies in regards to Young.
It’s difficult to know where this thing is going, but everyone seems to agree that the Rockies have interest in Young as a potential second baseman. Of course, the biggest hurdle in a potential deal would be how much of Young’s salary the Rangers are willing to absorb. The 34-year-old Young is owed $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 0
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 22
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 36
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL