Feb 5, 2011, 5:27 PM EST
UPDATE: Haven’t we been through this whole song and dance before?
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has spoken with multiple sources with direct knowledge of the Rockies’ situation, who tell him that the Rangers have not re-opened talks for Michael Young.
The Rockies are interested, mind you, but they would want the Rangers to eat $20 million, if not more, in order to get a deal done. As of now, nothing doing.
1:01 PM: Ken Rosenthal has updated his report from last night, adding that the Rangers are only talking to the Rockies about Young and that a deal could be in place by as soon as Monday.
The Rockies’ latest proposal for Young includes infielder Jose Lopez, though Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that as of right now, the club is not willing to include Aaron Cook in the deal. Stay tuned.
Olney went even further in his column this morning, writing that “something has changed in the relationship between the player and the team.” Adrian Beltre and Mike Napoli are probably two pretty good hints.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing a couple different takes on the situation, with one source telling him that talks with the Rockies have reached an “advanced stage,” while others say that the club is not convinced that the Rangers want to move him.
Meanwhile, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that as of Friday, the Rangers haven’t reached out to the Rockies in regards to Young.
It’s difficult to know where this thing is going, but everyone seems to agree that the Rockies have interest in Young as a potential second baseman. Of course, the biggest hurdle in a potential deal would be how much of Young’s salary the Rangers are willing to absorb. The 34-year-old Young is owed $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 35
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)