Feb 5, 2011, 5:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Haven’t we been through this whole song and dance before?
Troy Renck of the Denver Post has spoken with multiple sources with direct knowledge of the Rockies’ situation, who tell him that the Rangers have not re-opened talks for Michael Young.
The Rockies are interested, mind you, but they would want the Rangers to eat $20 million, if not more, in order to get a deal done. As of now, nothing doing.
1:01 PM: Ken Rosenthal has updated his report from last night, adding that the Rangers are only talking to the Rockies about Young and that a deal could be in place by as soon as Monday.
The Rockies’ latest proposal for Young includes infielder Jose Lopez, though Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that as of right now, the club is not willing to include Aaron Cook in the deal. Stay tuned.
Olney went even further in his column this morning, writing that “something has changed in the relationship between the player and the team.” Adrian Beltre and Mike Napoli are probably two pretty good hints.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing a couple different takes on the situation, with one source telling him that talks with the Rockies have reached an “advanced stage,” while others say that the club is not convinced that the Rangers want to move him.
Meanwhile, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that as of Friday, the Rangers haven’t reached out to the Rockies in regards to Young.
It’s difficult to know where this thing is going, but everyone seems to agree that the Rockies have interest in Young as a potential second baseman. Of course, the biggest hurdle in a potential deal would be how much of Young’s salary the Rangers are willing to absorb. The 34-year-old Young is owed $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)