Feb 5, 2011, 2:31 PM EST
With two weeks to go before spring training, this isn’t what Cardinals fans want to hear.
According to Rosenthal, Pujols wants a contract that “reflects his status as the game’s premier player,” one that would likely surpass Alex Rodriguez‘s 10-year, $275 million contract as the richest in baseball history, at least in terms of annual salary. Meanwhile, the Cardinals are reportedly frustrated that Pujols’ negotiating stance hasn’t met his public comments of loyalty to the organization.
Rosenthal notes that talks remain fluid and that a breakthrough could come at any moment, but this sure doesn’t sound good.
By the way, if you want to see the most frightening countdown clock ever (at least for Cardinals fans), check this out.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)