Feb 6, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney was definitely on to something when he wrote Saturday that “something has changed” in the relationship between the Rangers and Michael Young. He wants a trade. And the Rangers are going to try to meet that request.
A source familiar with the situation told Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports on Sunday afternoon that Texas will “attempt to trade” Young in the coming days because the infielder “has grown disillusioned with his diminished role on the team.”
The Rangers brought in Adrian Beltre on a massive free agent contract this offseason and will start him at third base in 2011. When that deal was initially signed, it moved Young to the DH role. But then the Rangers traded for Mike Napoli and Young took quick notice this weekend that his at-bats would probably be taking a hit this season.
So he wants out. A change of scenery.
We’ll see how it goes. Young is owed $48 million over the next three seasons, has never been great defensively, and finished with a pedestrian .774 OPS last season. He also turned 34 years old in October.
The Rockies are known to have some interest, though recent reports are saying they want the Rangers to eat $20 million of Young’s remaining contract. Brown hears that the Angels could be interested, but they probably won’t want to take on another bad deal. Remember, Anaheim brought in $81 million worth of Vernon Wells just a couple of weeks ago.
Young should dominate headlines for much of this week — the last week without baseball until November.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 21
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 16
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)