Feb 6, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney was definitely on to something when he wrote Saturday that “something has changed” in the relationship between the Rangers and Michael Young. He wants a trade. And the Rangers are going to try to meet that request.
A source familiar with the situation told Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports on Sunday afternoon that Texas will “attempt to trade” Young in the coming days because the infielder “has grown disillusioned with his diminished role on the team.”
The Rangers brought in Adrian Beltre on a massive free agent contract this offseason and will start him at third base in 2011. When that deal was initially signed, it moved Young to the DH role. But then the Rangers traded for Mike Napoli and Young took quick notice this weekend that his at-bats would probably be taking a hit this season.
So he wants out. A change of scenery.
We’ll see how it goes. Young is owed $48 million over the next three seasons, has never been great defensively, and finished with a pedestrian .774 OPS last season. He also turned 34 years old in October.
The Rockies are known to have some interest, though recent reports are saying they want the Rangers to eat $20 million of Young’s remaining contract. Brown hears that the Angels could be interested, but they probably won’t want to take on another bad deal. Remember, Anaheim brought in $81 million worth of Vernon Wells just a couple of weeks ago.
Young should dominate headlines for much of this week — the last week without baseball until November.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)