Feb 6, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney was definitely on to something when he wrote Saturday that “something has changed” in the relationship between the Rangers and Michael Young. He wants a trade. And the Rangers are going to try to meet that request.
A source familiar with the situation told Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports on Sunday afternoon that Texas will “attempt to trade” Young in the coming days because the infielder “has grown disillusioned with his diminished role on the team.”
The Rangers brought in Adrian Beltre on a massive free agent contract this offseason and will start him at third base in 2011. When that deal was initially signed, it moved Young to the DH role. But then the Rangers traded for Mike Napoli and Young took quick notice this weekend that his at-bats would probably be taking a hit this season.
So he wants out. A change of scenery.
We’ll see how it goes. Young is owed $48 million over the next three seasons, has never been great defensively, and finished with a pedestrian .774 OPS last season. He also turned 34 years old in October.
The Rockies are known to have some interest, though recent reports are saying they want the Rangers to eat $20 million of Young’s remaining contract. Brown hears that the Angels could be interested, but they probably won’t want to take on another bad deal. Remember, Anaheim brought in $81 million worth of Vernon Wells just a couple of weeks ago.
Young should dominate headlines for much of this week — the last week without baseball until November.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)