Feb 6, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Giants reached agreement on a minor league contract Saturday with outfielder Justin Christian.
Christian, 30, posted a decent .289/.366/.435 batting line with nine homers and 22 stolen bases over 468 plate appearances between Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre last season.
The Lincoln, Nebraska native has spent his entire career in the Yankees’ farm system. Well, until now.
Christian’s deal does not carry an invitation to big league camp, so he will spend his spring training with the Giants’ minor leaguers and attempt to work his way up once the season begins. He hasn’t appeared in a major league game since 2008. Right now, he’s playing for Mexico in the Caribbean Series.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)