Feb 6, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Giants reached agreement on a minor league contract Saturday with outfielder Justin Christian.
Christian, 30, posted a decent .289/.366/.435 batting line with nine homers and 22 stolen bases over 468 plate appearances between Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre last season.
The Lincoln, Nebraska native has spent his entire career in the Yankees’ farm system. Well, until now.
Christian’s deal does not carry an invitation to big league camp, so he will spend his spring training with the Giants’ minor leaguers and attempt to work his way up once the season begins. He hasn’t appeared in a major league game since 2008. Right now, he’s playing for Mexico in the Caribbean Series.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)