Feb 6, 2011, 2:53 PM EST
Buried in Nick Cafardo’s excellent Sunday notes column on the Boston Globe‘s website is this bit of troubling news for Red Sox fans: J.D. Drew has been experiencing discomfort in his hamstring this offseason and is likely to be limited when spring training opens later this month.
Drew battled hamstring problems throughout much of the 2010 season. He didn’t hit the disabled list once, but that seems likely to change this year if he is already having struggles here in early February.
The good news is that the Red Sox have enough depth to handle the two- or three-week stints when he goes down. Ryan Kalish is a well-rounded player and just about ready to become a big league regular. Mike Cameron and Darnell McDonald are both quality backups, too.
Boston is used to Drew’s nagging injuries. He started only 127 games in 2010, 124 in 2009 and 105 in 2008. That he’s already having problems is unfortunate, but the Sox are prepared.
Drew, 35, is entering the final season of a five-year, $72 million contract that he signed in December of 2006. He has spoken a few times about retiring when the 2011 season concludes.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (308)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)