One scout thinks Andy Pettitte is not done pitching

Feb 6, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

New York Yankee Andy Pettitte Announces Retirement Getty Images

When 38-year-old left-hander Andy Pettitte announced his retirement from the game of baseball on Friday at a press conference inside the halls of Yankee Stadium, he answered a question about possibly pitching again with a “never say never” type of response.  In fact, those were nearly his exact words.  Now Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe can add a little fuel to that fire.

Cafardo spoke to a scout this weekend who believes that Pettitte might return at some point.  Maybe not this season, but possibly in 2012.

“I get the feeling his career isn’t over,” said the scout. “For one, he can still pitch at a high level. Secondly, he didn’t retire with any conviction. The stuff about going back and forth on whether or not to pitch leads me to believe he’ll decide to pitch again.”

The Yanks were thought to be offering Pettitte a one-year, $12 million contract, and they probably would have sweetened that sum if he had asked.  There’s little doubt that they will have interest if he decides to make a comeback next winter.

Pettitte has never relied on high velocities.  He averaged under 90 MPH on his fastball last season and has been in the 89 MPH range for much of his career.  He’s simply a crafty lefty, and he could probably remain crafty well into his early 40s.

1. seeingwhatsticks - Feb 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

If he’s not playing is he subject to any drug testing? Could he possibly HGH it up for a while, get himself in great shape and get totally healthy, then come back?

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Given past circumstances, this is a silly conclusion to draw. He is a good father, this is why the retirement came about, and I would find it impossible to believe Andy would be sauch a poor role model to his kids for another season of baseball uncertainty.

• seeingwhatsticks - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Boy I hope that was sarcasm on you part.

• ditto65 - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Exactly which drug test can identify HGH?

• paperlions - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Besides the fact that HGH has no effect on healthy adults…..why would he (or anyone) bother? HGH was a cure-all fad that is now past as most people have been informed that, unless you are HGH deficient, taking HGH does nothing for you…it doesn’t help you heal faster, it doesn’t make you stronger/bigger/faster, it has no performance enhancing effect. Apparently, the only people that still think HGH would convey some benefit are the mainstream media and casual fans.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Who’s coolaid are you drinking anyway? Seriously though? Not only are athletes taking it and jeopardizing their careers for what you describe as “having no effect”, which is kind of ridiculous in today’s day and age, but science tells a different story as well.

2. Walk - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM

His coming back like pedro a few years back would not surprise me. I can see him taking half a season off spending time with his family then coming back in the second half for a victory lap.

• rsnorth - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Speaking of walk, Walk, Pettitte said at his media conference ‘I will not pitch in 2011′. So he’s taking a walk on this season.
      July, August, the second half of the season, whatever, is still 2011. You won’t see him pitching this year.

3. Mike Luna - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I had wondered about this last week. If the Yankees manage to stay in contention through June, what’s to stop Brian Cashman from flying to Houston to see if Andy wants to help make a playoff push?

I’m not a professional athlete, but if I were I might have a hard time walking away when I know I can still compete. He’s not over the hill by any means.

• rsnorth - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Mike Luna. See comment above. He’s NOT pitching in 2011.
      He also said Never say never so 2012 is possible. But not likely.

4. bigleagues - Feb 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I said this in this very forum the day before he announced his “retirement”.

Look the Clemens case is shaping up to what would be a major distraction for Pettitte in Spring Training and into the season. He has loathed the travel associated with pitching for the Yankees for a long time. So he ‘retires’ from the Yankees, they host Andy Pettitte Day, he takes a few months off – or even a season – and then mark my words he will be pitching for the Texas Rangers before his career is truly over.

Nolan Ryan is one of his heros, he’d play for him in a heartbeat. I guarantee it. I can only hope that he makes the playoffs as a Ranger then has to pitch a series clincher against the Yankees.

5. jh0088 - Feb 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Still just saying that if he comes back it’s with the Rangers, not the Yanks. Gut feelings abound.

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM

He’ll enjoy being an announcer.

7. BC - Feb 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I’m just waiting for the next “Oh my goodness gracious!!!!” from Suzyn Waldman. He’s gonna do the mid-year thing. You heard it here first.

Three legends off to Cooperstown