Woodie Fryman: 1940-2011

Feb 6, 2011, 9:59 AM EDT

fryman cards

Sad news out of Kentucky.

According to the Associated Press, former major league pitcher Woodie Fryman passed away this weekend at the age of 70.

Fryman played 18 major league seasons from 1966-1983, spending time with the Expos, Pirates, Phillies, Tigers, Reds and Cubs.  He had four career one-hitters and he left the game after the ’83 season with a 3.77 career ERA.

His best season as a starter — he pitched in relief later in his career — came in 1968, when he was a 28-year-old with the Phillies.  He finished the year with a 2.78 ERA and 151 strikeouts in 213.2 innings.

The Expos inducted him into their Hall of Fame in 1995 before relocating to Washington, D.C.

1. heiniemanush - Feb 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM

He pretty much won the AL East for the Tigers when he went 10-3 down the stretch after they picked him up off the waiver wire from Philly. Woodie beat Luis Tiant in the pennant clinching game. He washed out of the AL pretty quickly after that but I was glad to see him find his niche as a part-time closer those last few years in Montreal. Thanks for all the memories, Woody.

2. dodger88 - Feb 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Having grown up in Montreal, the first Expos teams I can recall are from the early 1980’s and Woody Fryman was one of the pitchers I recall clearly from those days. A real fan favourite. For the Expos 20th anniversary they released a retrospective video called “Les Expos No Amours”, in which Woody is one of the former Expos that is profiled and interviewed. He always came across as a decent man who found success in the major leagues for nearly two decades. RIP Woody.

3. spudchukar - Feb 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM

If I am not mistaken, he was always referred to as “the tobacco farmer from Kentucky”. He will be missed and remembered.

4. crankyfrankie - Feb 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I remember when the Phillies sent him to the Tigers cause the headline said. “Phillies send Fryman to Tigers for cash.” I though great the Phillies got Norm Cash. Um no I learned after reading the article. I learned not to believe headlines that day.

5. steveinphiladelphia - Feb 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I was at the 1976 All Star game, and also hung around the Bellevue Stratford hotel in Philly as many players arrived. Woodie Fryman checked in with family and all their baggage. Hands full, and moving slowly across the hotel lobby, he stopped – an absolute gentleman of the highest order – to sign autographs, despite the inconvenience of the luggage. Eventually he got to move on, but on yet another stop I got to tell him how much I admired a player taking all the trouble he had, for the autograph seekers. He paused and said softly, “Someday they’re going to stop asking.” That evening 34 years ago I had the privilege of seeing an extraordinary display of wisdom, decency and sportsmanship. In Woodie Fryman’s death baseball has lost a true gentleman.

6. cur68 - Feb 7, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Seeya Woodie. You were a good guy, I always thought. I already miss the Expos very much and, to me, you an Dennis Martinez will always be on their pitching staff.

Three legends off to Cooperstown