Feb 7, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
There’s no longer room in the Phillies’ bullpen for Chad Durbin, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that three straight trips to the playoffs with Philadelphia has the free agent right-hander unwilling to sign with a non-contender.
According to Rosenthal he’s gotten multiple offers “from projected non-contenders” but is “holding out for a club with a better chance to reach the postseason.”
Of course, with the start of spring training right around the corner Durbin may have to lower his standards in a hurry. Rosenthal doesn’t pass along any information about which teams are interested in Durbin, but speculates that the Rays, Twins, Marlins, and Brewers “are among the other contenders that may want to add another reliever.”
Durbin tossed 226 innings with a 3.62 ERA in three seasons for the Phillies, including a 3.80 ERA and 63/27 K/BB ratio in 69 innings last year. He’s a solid middle reliever or secondary setup man, but it looks like he’ll have to accept a minor-league deal at this point.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona