Feb 7, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
“I’ve become very close with the Wilpon family over the years. They’ve done a lot for me. And I feel for them, just having to go through this. I called Jeff a few days ago just to let him know that I was thinking about him and if he needed anything from me, I’m there for him.”
Wilpon then asked David Wright for $300 million.
OK, maybe not. Wright went on:
“Getting down here and playing baseball you don’t have to listen to every day what’s going on in that situation. It’s almost like once you walk across these lines; it’s almost like a sanctuary. That’s one of the best things for me to get back out on the baseball field. You don’t have to think about everything.’’
The turmoil of a club’s business doesn’t impact the fans as directly as it does the members of a team, but it does affect us. And of course, most of us have stress and uncertainty of one form or another in our own lives. Spring training and baseball serves as a sanctuary for us too.
We’re a little over two weeks until actual spring training games start. The beauty of the electronic age allows us to watch a lot of them or, at the very least, follow them live in one way or another. When they do — or even when the mitts start popping next week — the world will be a better place.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)