Feb 7, 2011, 5:32 PM EST
“I’ve become very close with the Wilpon family over the years. They’ve done a lot for me. And I feel for them, just having to go through this. I called Jeff a few days ago just to let him know that I was thinking about him and if he needed anything from me, I’m there for him.”
Wilpon then asked David Wright for $300 million.
OK, maybe not. Wright went on:
“Getting down here and playing baseball you don’t have to listen to every day what’s going on in that situation. It’s almost like once you walk across these lines; it’s almost like a sanctuary. That’s one of the best things for me to get back out on the baseball field. You don’t have to think about everything.’’
The turmoil of a club’s business doesn’t impact the fans as directly as it does the members of a team, but it does affect us. And of course, most of us have stress and uncertainty of one form or another in our own lives. Spring training and baseball serves as a sanctuary for us too.
We’re a little over two weeks until actual spring training games start. The beauty of the electronic age allows us to watch a lot of them or, at the very least, follow them live in one way or another. When they do — or even when the mitts start popping next week — the world will be a better place.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)