Feb 7, 2011, 6:04 AM EDT
What you may have missed while building a fort out of guacamole and empty hype:
- The Orioles either bid against themselves for Vladamir Guerrero or else the Mystery Team strikes again.
- The Yankees signed Eric Chavez and Ronnie Belliard. A-Rod, Teixeira, Cano and Jeter: you’re on notice!
- Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational Kyle Drabek!
- The Indians are “making progress” with Kevin Millwood. I would make jokes about Millwood’s lack of leverage here, but after Vlad got $8 million I don’t think I understand what leverage is anymore.
- Jim Edmonds had surgery on his Achilles tendon last month. Last month? I mean, I know it’s hard to get an appointment sometimes, but Edmonds has been idled since the end of September. You’d think he might have done that earlier.
- Pujols contract negotiations aren’t going very well. Mang.
- How the Mets handle K-Rod this year could be the financial canary in the coal mine.
- Woodie Fryman, R.I.P. For Tigers fans alive in 1972 he was the proto-Doyle Alexander. And they didn’t have to give up nothin’ for him.
- Please, let’s not start this crap, OK?
- For, lo, the winter is past, The rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; The time of the singing of birds is come, And the voice of the turtle — and J.D. Drew’s first injury of the year — is heard in our land.
- This Michael Young business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.
- Hey, get me: I picked a Super Bowl winner. I didn’t know until later, though, seeing as though I watched George Clooney in “The American” instead of the football game.
Gentlemen, start your equipment trucks. It’s spring training time.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 18
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)