Josh Hamilton and the Rangers are talking two-year contract

Feb 7, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton

T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that Josh Hamilton and the Rangers “are making progress towards settling his contract situation so that they will not have to go to an arbitration hearing” and “have discussed a two-year contract.”

Hamilton is arbitration eligible both this season and next, so a two-year deal would simply give the Rangers some cost certainty without impacting his ability to become a free agent following the 2012 season.

Hamilton requested a $12 million salary following his MVP-winning season, while the Rangers submitted a figure of $8.7 million. The two sides have a hearing scheduled for February 14 if they can’t come to an agreement before then.

1. jetersusedjersey - Feb 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I bet they go 2/20?? That would make sense to me.

2. spudchukar - Feb 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM

If they were smart they should do 6 for 100.

3. angrycorgi - Feb 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I’m a Rangers fan, and I have to say that I’m more than just a little concerned about this negotitiation…why not try and get him on a long-term deal? We signed Young to a long-term/high-pay deal and he’s not even 3/4ths the player Hamilton is.

4. metalhead65 - Feb 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM

if they can’t sign him long term maybe they can trade him back to the reds for the guy traded to get him. after all this is the year he is realy gonna break out and show that he is more than what the back of his card says he is or what he has done so far since he has been with the reds. ok now comes the part where all you stat geeks tell me that it is all not about ERA or how many innings he pitched and that going 4-5 innings today is the same as going 6 or 7 right? don’t bother unless he starts winning 20 games a year and a cy young or 2 then the reds got jobbed big time in that deal.

5. bassmaster09 - Feb 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I am a rangers fan and I also think the rangers should go for a longterm contract with Hamilton. MVP is kind of a big deal and he is an unbelievable athlete. He is a team leader and if Young is out then he may take that spot.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3336)