Feb 7, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
I gave up attaching any significance whatsoever to “Truck Day” last year when I realized that Boston’s version of it — the alleged original about which people were angry that other teams were ripping off — had corporate sponsorship. From an airline. Airplanes? When neither the “truck” nor the “day” part of it is organic, unique or even arguably sacred anymore it may as well be some baloney Hallmark holiday that should be ignored.
But I kind of like The Platoon Advantage’s take on Truck Day. They’re using it to celebrate the life and career of former Yankee Truck Hannah. Let’s see someone sponsor him.
Know what I could go for? Bus day. In which all of the team’s 40-man roster assemble at the ballpark and alight a Greyhound — or a charter if they must — and head to spring training. Fans can say goodbye to them like kids going off to camp or something. It’d be swell.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 18
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)