Feb 7, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
I gave up attaching any significance whatsoever to “Truck Day” last year when I realized that Boston’s version of it — the alleged original about which people were angry that other teams were ripping off — had corporate sponsorship. From an airline. Airplanes? When neither the “truck” nor the “day” part of it is organic, unique or even arguably sacred anymore it may as well be some baloney Hallmark holiday that should be ignored.
But I kind of like The Platoon Advantage’s take on Truck Day. They’re using it to celebrate the life and career of former Yankee Truck Hannah. Let’s see someone sponsor him.
Know what I could go for? Bus day. In which all of the team’s 40-man roster assemble at the ballpark and alight a Greyhound — or a charter if they must — and head to spring training. Fans can say goodbye to them like kids going off to camp or something. It’d be swell.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)