Feb 7, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
I gave up attaching any significance whatsoever to “Truck Day” last year when I realized that Boston’s version of it — the alleged original about which people were angry that other teams were ripping off — had corporate sponsorship. From an airline. Airplanes? When neither the “truck” nor the “day” part of it is organic, unique or even arguably sacred anymore it may as well be some baloney Hallmark holiday that should be ignored.
But I kind of like The Platoon Advantage’s take on Truck Day. They’re using it to celebrate the life and career of former Yankee Truck Hannah. Let’s see someone sponsor him.
Know what I could go for? Bus day. In which all of the team’s 40-man roster assemble at the ballpark and alight a Greyhound — or a charter if they must — and head to spring training. Fans can say goodbye to them like kids going off to camp or something. It’d be swell.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 3
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 81
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)