Feb 7, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
About two or three years ago we all finally decided that my dad had gotten old enough to where we no longer feel the need to apologize for the crazy stuff he says. You just get to a certain point, you know, when it’s more cute than anything else. And it’s not like you’re going to change him. In other news, Marty Brennaman is my dad’s age:
On Saturday night during Marshall University’s preseason baseball banquet and fundraiser at the Cam Henderson Center, Brennaman – the keynote speaker – determined that Marshall’s president must be “queer” for softball since the university managed to open a $2.5 million softball facility in March 2008, but baseball is still traveling for home games.
He went on, touching on the Reds’ NL Central rivals:
[The Pirates] probably improved themselves, which means they’ll probably lose 97 games … There’s no light at the end of the tunnel for that franchise. There really isn’t … I’m not a big St. Louis fan, because I’m not a big Tony LaRussa fan. I refer to him as ‘Mr. Baseball’ on the radio, because he acts like he invented the game … The Chicago Cubs won’t be a factor because, no matter how much they add to their club, at the end of the day, they’ve got ‘Cubs’ across the front of their jerseys. That’s the reason why they won’t win.”
I’m surprised that he didn’t say anything about the White Sox. Sure, they’re not in the NL Central, but Adam Dunn plays for them and Marty can’t go ten minutes without explaining how Dunn is the worst thing to ever happen to baseball.
But then again, that was a few years ago. He was younger then and what he said about things seemed to matter more.
(link via BTF)
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)