Feb 7, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
About two or three years ago we all finally decided that my dad had gotten old enough to where we no longer feel the need to apologize for the crazy stuff he says. You just get to a certain point, you know, when it’s more cute than anything else. And it’s not like you’re going to change him. In other news, Marty Brennaman is my dad’s age:
On Saturday night during Marshall University’s preseason baseball banquet and fundraiser at the Cam Henderson Center, Brennaman – the keynote speaker – determined that Marshall’s president must be “queer” for softball since the university managed to open a $2.5 million softball facility in March 2008, but baseball is still traveling for home games.
He went on, touching on the Reds’ NL Central rivals:
[The Pirates] probably improved themselves, which means they’ll probably lose 97 games … There’s no light at the end of the tunnel for that franchise. There really isn’t … I’m not a big St. Louis fan, because I’m not a big Tony LaRussa fan. I refer to him as ‘Mr. Baseball’ on the radio, because he acts like he invented the game … The Chicago Cubs won’t be a factor because, no matter how much they add to their club, at the end of the day, they’ve got ‘Cubs’ across the front of their jerseys. That’s the reason why they won’t win.”
I’m surprised that he didn’t say anything about the White Sox. Sure, they’re not in the NL Central, but Adam Dunn plays for them and Marty can’t go ten minutes without explaining how Dunn is the worst thing to ever happen to baseball.
But then again, that was a few years ago. He was younger then and what he said about things seemed to matter more.
(link via BTF)
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 3
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 46
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)