Feb 7, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
About two or three years ago we all finally decided that my dad had gotten old enough to where we no longer feel the need to apologize for the crazy stuff he says. You just get to a certain point, you know, when it’s more cute than anything else. And it’s not like you’re going to change him. In other news, Marty Brennaman is my dad’s age:
On Saturday night during Marshall University’s preseason baseball banquet and fundraiser at the Cam Henderson Center, Brennaman – the keynote speaker – determined that Marshall’s president must be “queer” for softball since the university managed to open a $2.5 million softball facility in March 2008, but baseball is still traveling for home games.
He went on, touching on the Reds’ NL Central rivals:
[The Pirates] probably improved themselves, which means they’ll probably lose 97 games … There’s no light at the end of the tunnel for that franchise. There really isn’t … I’m not a big St. Louis fan, because I’m not a big Tony LaRussa fan. I refer to him as ‘Mr. Baseball’ on the radio, because he acts like he invented the game … The Chicago Cubs won’t be a factor because, no matter how much they add to their club, at the end of the day, they’ve got ‘Cubs’ across the front of their jerseys. That’s the reason why they won’t win.”
I’m surprised that he didn’t say anything about the White Sox. Sure, they’re not in the NL Central, but Adam Dunn plays for them and Marty can’t go ten minutes without explaining how Dunn is the worst thing to ever happen to baseball.
But then again, that was a few years ago. He was younger then and what he said about things seemed to matter more.
(link via BTF)
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)