Feb 7, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
About two or three years ago we all finally decided that my dad had gotten old enough to where we no longer feel the need to apologize for the crazy stuff he says. You just get to a certain point, you know, when it’s more cute than anything else. And it’s not like you’re going to change him. In other news, Marty Brennaman is my dad’s age:
On Saturday night during Marshall University’s preseason baseball banquet and fundraiser at the Cam Henderson Center, Brennaman – the keynote speaker – determined that Marshall’s president must be “queer” for softball since the university managed to open a $2.5 million softball facility in March 2008, but baseball is still traveling for home games.
He went on, touching on the Reds’ NL Central rivals:
[The Pirates] probably improved themselves, which means they’ll probably lose 97 games … There’s no light at the end of the tunnel for that franchise. There really isn’t … I’m not a big St. Louis fan, because I’m not a big Tony LaRussa fan. I refer to him as ‘Mr. Baseball’ on the radio, because he acts like he invented the game … The Chicago Cubs won’t be a factor because, no matter how much they add to their club, at the end of the day, they’ve got ‘Cubs’ across the front of their jerseys. That’s the reason why they won’t win.”
I’m surprised that he didn’t say anything about the White Sox. Sure, they’re not in the NL Central, but Adam Dunn plays for them and Marty can’t go ten minutes without explaining how Dunn is the worst thing to ever happen to baseball.
But then again, that was a few years ago. He was younger then and what he said about things seemed to matter more.
(link via BTF)
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 18
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 90
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (90)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)