Mike Lowell is definitely retired and “hip replacement is most likely inevitable”

Feb 7, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Rob Bradford of WEEI.com caught up with Mike Lowell, who made it clear that he’s definitely retired and revealed that his surgically repaired hip “has gone a little bit downhill.”

Lowell underwent surgery on his right hip following the 2008 season and recent X-rays showed that “it has gotten progressively worse.”

Here’s more from Lowell, who hit .239 with a .674 OPS in a part-time role for the Red Sox last year:

Without medication or pain management I don’t think I can run 50 yards right now, I know I can’t. I don’t want to be taking meds to go about my day-to-day life. I feel like my quality of life is going down a little bit. I want to teach my kid how to run the bases in Little League instead of just standing there. It seems trivial but it bothers me that I can’t do it.

Bradford writes that Lowell “understands that a hip replacement is most likely inevitable” and the four-time All-Star explained that he doesn’t regret using “anti-inflammatories and pain medication” to get through last season even if it wasn’t “the greatest thing for the hip” long term.

Lowell became a full-time player for the Marlins in 2000 and ceased being a regular for the Red Sox after 2009. During that decade-long stretch he ranked seventh among third baseman in Wins Above Replacement, trailing only Alex Rodriguez, Chipper Jones, Scott Rolen, Eric Chavez, Adrian Beltre, and Troy Glaus.

1. Detroit Michael - Feb 7, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Behind Eric Chavez? I’d forgotten how good he was I guess before he became a permanent disabled list denizen.

• nyyankeefanforever - Feb 8, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Yeah that Chavez stat caught me by surprise too. Would be nice if he had a few quarts left in his tank to help the Yankees off the bench this season — or at least show well enough in spring training to make him useful as throw-in trade bait for SP.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Shame. Lowell was one of the class acts in Major League baseball. I hope everything goes well for the guy in retirement.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I agree.

• cur68 - Feb 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I’ve worked with fresh hip (& knee) post op patients. Everyone of them report to being in FAR less pain after surgery than before. Mike Lowell we be just fine. The replacement is usually titanium and all of the arthritic bone is removed so (since arthritis of the hip commonly manifests as severe groin pain) the pain relief is immediate and profound. The hard part is getting the legs the same length but most people cope well with a simple orthotic to even things out. The big problem (according to my more swarthy patients) comes when you want to fly anywhere. Just TRY getting a huge hunk of metal through an airport metal detector when its buried deep in your body! So, some advice; Dear Mr. Lowell; prepare to drop your pants in front of a couple hundred of your new best friends sharing airport security with you, some of who will likely be pointing a gun or two at you. I hope you have a nice big scar to convince the security people. Now repeat after me in you most sincere tone; “Yes officer, the metal is in there.” I suggest getting your self a big time gig with American Express and do lots of commercials; “Hi! I’m Mike Lowell. I got a hunk of titanium near my a$$! Please don’t try probing any cavities to find it! Here’s my AMEX, I didn’t leave home without it! Take it, please, buy the missus something nice. Now, please, for the love of buddha, leave my a$$ alone.” Good luck with the hip, bra.

3. clydeserra - Feb 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM

How much does a new hip cost? how is he going to get insurance?

• cur68 - Feb 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM

He’s a rich dude. He can afford the best. In Canada (where I work), it’s largely paid for by our healthcare coverage. The joint itself is about 5G. The medical time, effort and follow up probably another 5G when its all said and done. The down side? Besides difficult times with airport security the joint only lasts, if you are lucky, 13-15 years. These protheses are ideally suited for dogs and cats with hip problems because that’s the life span of the animal anyways but in humans, it’ll require some kind of revision in a decade.

4. projectshadow316 - Feb 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I wish the best for him. As for the replacement hip, he seriously could go through any airport in Florida or Boston wearing a damn turban, a beard, and looking like any stereotypical terrorist, and he will STILL get an escort to the plane even if he sets off the alarm because he’s Mike “Class Act” Lowell.

• cur68 - Feb 8, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Hope you’re right. Those security guys don’t take setting off the metal detector lightly. However using your logic then he better not fly out of LaGuardia, EVER.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2821)