Phillies’ right field job is “a three-man race” that Domonic Brown should win

Feb 7, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT

Domonic Brown swinging

Todd Zolecki of MLB.com writes that the Phillies’ right field job is “a three-man race” and “open competition” among Domonic Brown, Ben Francisco, and John Mayberry Jr., but adds that “many suspect Francisco and Brown will platoon to start the season.”

Before he can claim the bulk of the starts Brown has to first win a spot on the Opening Day roster, which is no sure thing for the 23-year-old top prospect. Brown was called up in late July and remained with the Phillies for the final two-plus months of last season, but started just 13 times in 61 games while getting a grand total of 70 plate appearances.

If the Phillies give him a spot on the Opening Day roster he needs to actually play this time around, and with Jayson Werth gone and Francisco representing the only significant veteran competition for starts that should be an easy call for manager Charlie Manuel. Brown didn’t look very good in his first taste of the majors, but that tends to happen when a 22-year-old is getting one start per week and he’s without question one of the elite prospects in all of baseball after hitting .312 with 23 homers, 62 total extra-base hits, and 25 steals in 130 games between Double-A and Triple-A.

1. BC - Feb 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM

John Mayberry Jr.???? He’s horrible! Why even think of giving him a shot at starting?

• mercyflush - Feb 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM

the guy’s got 69 total ABs in the majors. i wouldn’t say he’s horrible.

in those 69 ABs he hit .279 and slugged .628 in 43 ABs against lefty’s. Last season in the minors he hit .350 against left handed pitching. At the very least he seems like he could be a serviceable pinch hitter and 4th OF.

I wouldn’t mind Brown being the everyday rightfielder, and having Mayberry get some starts against leftys. But Brown needs to play most of the time. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the 39 year old Ibanez doesn’t make it through the season healthy and productive, so I envision Ben in RF, Brown in LF and Mayberry backing them up. (And he played center in the minors last year and apparently did well).

• phillydano - Feb 7, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Dont count on Ibanez going down. I hear he is in “the best shape of his life.” He is also working on a sweet beard right now. I hope he shows up at spring training with a jayson werth grade beard.

Seriously though, Ibanez can be a big force at the plate. Look at what he did in 09 before he got hurt, he was the best hitter in the MLB. And then in the second half of last season when he said he finally felt 100% again. He carried the Phils through their slumps last year. Have more faith in Rauuuuuul.

I also heard that Raul is hungry.

2. sometimesphylan - Feb 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Mayberry hasn’t really had a serious opportunity with the big club — only 73 PA over the last 2 years, in which he’s flashed a tremendous amount of power but no real plate discipline. It’s too soon to tell what his contribution can be, but he may be useful in platoon scenarios. That being said, I’d rather the Phils just give Dom the full slate of PAs to cut his teeth, against righties and lefties alike.

3. megary - Feb 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Wait…what about Gary Matthews Jr?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2011 at 12:18 PM

He’s got a cool dad, that wear cool hats.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I still say the TV crew’s gotta go. Replace them with Franzke and LA.

4. Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I’m at a loss of words for what the Phillies should do in the OF. I guess I’d like to Platoon Ibanez and Ben F in Left, with Mayberry and Brown in Right. Depending on who’s pitching.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Platoon Rauuuuulllll and Oswalt in left, the Hawaiian in center and platoon Francisco and Brown in right. Ben can get a few starts in left when Rauuuuulllll is sitting and the wizard is on the mound.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I hope to never ever see Oswalt playing OF ever again. never ever. How’s it been UT?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Hangin’ in. I’ve been real busy at work and trying to stay relatively unplugged at home. What about you?

Oh, and 6 days ’til aces and Chooch!

• Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I spent the weekend staining my grout. “It wasn’t the right color” Yeah, i’ve got about 10 hours into it so far, and I’m almost halfway done too. Thank god i got knee pads for christmas.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Damn you…so many things could be said about that, but I have to do some work!!!!! Dammit!

• Jonny 5 - Feb 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM

LOL!!! staining and knee pads all in the same post is tough to pass up…..

Three legends off to Cooperstown