Feb 7, 2011, 10:50 AM EDT
Buster Olney says that talks between Albert Pujols and the Cardinals are not moving at all. He says this is because Pujols is seeking a “Mt. Everest” contract. I guess that means the biggest ever. But my guess is that he ends up with a “Mauna Kea” deal.
What’s Mauna Kea? Why, it’s a dormant volcano in Hawaii. It only measures around 13,000 feet above sea level. But here’s the thing: if you measure it from where the thing actually starts on the ocean floor, it’s actually way, way bigger than Everest.
My sense is that Pujols will eventually get something like that from the Cardinals. Maybe not as superficially big as A-Rod’s deal, but once you figure in deferred money, incentives, and weird back-end-of-the-deal lifetime contracts it will be enormous anyway.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)