Feb 7, 2011, 10:50 AM EST
Buster Olney says that talks between Albert Pujols and the Cardinals are not moving at all. He says this is because Pujols is seeking a “Mt. Everest” contract. I guess that means the biggest ever. But my guess is that he ends up with a “Mauna Kea” deal.
What’s Mauna Kea? Why, it’s a dormant volcano in Hawaii. It only measures around 13,000 feet above sea level. But here’s the thing: if you measure it from where the thing actually starts on the ocean floor, it’s actually way, way bigger than Everest.
My sense is that Pujols will eventually get something like that from the Cardinals. Maybe not as superficially big as A-Rod’s deal, but once you figure in deferred money, incentives, and weird back-end-of-the-deal lifetime contracts it will be enormous anyway.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (302)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)