Feb 7, 2011, 10:50 AM EDT
Buster Olney says that talks between Albert Pujols and the Cardinals are not moving at all. He says this is because Pujols is seeking a “Mt. Everest” contract. I guess that means the biggest ever. But my guess is that he ends up with a “Mauna Kea” deal.
What’s Mauna Kea? Why, it’s a dormant volcano in Hawaii. It only measures around 13,000 feet above sea level. But here’s the thing: if you measure it from where the thing actually starts on the ocean floor, it’s actually way, way bigger than Everest.
My sense is that Pujols will eventually get something like that from the Cardinals. Maybe not as superficially big as A-Rod’s deal, but once you figure in deferred money, incentives, and weird back-end-of-the-deal lifetime contracts it will be enormous anyway.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11