Feb 7, 2011, 6:59 PM EST
UPDATE: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com writes that a major source of the friction between the two sides is that the club was attempting to trade Young, but telling him otherwise. Now he wants out of Texas, but the Rangers are reluctant to deal him.
In a word, awkward.
According to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Daniels said that Young had a change of heart about accepting his new role with the club and requested a trade about a week ago. At issue is that Young is concerned that he will be pigeon-holed as a designated hitter as he ages.
“He’s had time to think about it,” Daniels said. “Time’s gone on and he’s changed his mind.”
While the Rockies have been mentioned most frequently in connection with Young, Daniels added that no deal is imminent at this time. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Young has a limited no-trade clause which includes eight teams where he can be traded without his approval, though the Rockies are reportedly one of them.
The biggest hurdle to a potential deal is Young’s massive contract. The 34-year-old is owed $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)