Feb 7, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com writes that a major source of the friction between the two sides is that the club was attempting to trade Young, but telling him otherwise. Now he wants out of Texas, but the Rangers are reluctant to deal him.
In a word, awkward.
According to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Daniels said that Young had a change of heart about accepting his new role with the club and requested a trade about a week ago. At issue is that Young is concerned that he will be pigeon-holed as a designated hitter as he ages.
“He’s had time to think about it,” Daniels said. “Time’s gone on and he’s changed his mind.”
While the Rockies have been mentioned most frequently in connection with Young, Daniels added that no deal is imminent at this time. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Young has a limited no-trade clause which includes eight teams where he can be traded without his approval, though the Rockies are reportedly one of them.
The biggest hurdle to a potential deal is Young’s massive contract. The 34-year-old is owed $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)