Feb 7, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com writes that a major source of the friction between the two sides is that the club was attempting to trade Young, but telling him otherwise. Now he wants out of Texas, but the Rangers are reluctant to deal him.
In a word, awkward.
According to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Daniels said that Young had a change of heart about accepting his new role with the club and requested a trade about a week ago. At issue is that Young is concerned that he will be pigeon-holed as a designated hitter as he ages.
“He’s had time to think about it,” Daniels said. “Time’s gone on and he’s changed his mind.”
While the Rockies have been mentioned most frequently in connection with Young, Daniels added that no deal is imminent at this time. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Young has a limited no-trade clause which includes eight teams where he can be traded without his approval, though the Rockies are reportedly one of them.
The biggest hurdle to a potential deal is Young’s massive contract. The 34-year-old is owed $16 million over each of the next three seasons.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)