Feb 7, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
I was rather surprised when Vladimir Guerrero got $8 million. We have some more details on it now and I suppose it’s slightly better for the O’s: it will be $5 million in 2011, with the other $3 million deferred over several years.
Still seems like a lot for a guy who didn’t appear to have anyone else bidding for him. And it’s the second one-year deal I can think of off the top of my head that has deferred money this winter. The other is Carlos Pena‘s deal with the Cubs. I guess it makes some modicum of financial sense for the club, but it does seem odd that they’re agreeing to pay a guy who is almost 100% certain to not be on the team again after this one year.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)