Feb 7, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
I was rather surprised when Vladimir Guerrero got $8 million. We have some more details on it now and I suppose it’s slightly better for the O’s: it will be $5 million in 2011, with the other $3 million deferred over several years.
Still seems like a lot for a guy who didn’t appear to have anyone else bidding for him. And it’s the second one-year deal I can think of off the top of my head that has deferred money this winter. The other is Carlos Pena‘s deal with the Cubs. I guess it makes some modicum of financial sense for the club, but it does seem odd that they’re agreeing to pay a guy who is almost 100% certain to not be on the team again after this one year.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12