Feb 7, 2011, 9:31 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Jake Peavy is expected to provide an update on his rehab from shoulder surgery during a conference call tomorrow, according to Scot Gregor of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald.
Peavy posted a 4.63 ERA over his first 17 starts last season before suffering a detached lat muscle near his right shoulder in July. Due to the unique nature of the injury, there hasn’t been any clear timetable for his return. The right-hander recently began throwing off a mound, but his status for the start of the 2011 season is still in doubt.
The White Sox have discussed moving last year’s first-round pick Chris Sale to the starting rotation if Peavy is forced to begin the year on the disabled list, though the team’s pitching coach Don Cooper has been vocal about giving the left-hander a clearly defined role on the club.
Peavy, who turns 30 in May, is owed $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012 with a $22 million option or $4 million buyout for 2013.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)