Which Cubs game did Ferris Bueller go to?

Feb 7, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT

Bueller

You guys know Larry Granillo from Wezen-Ball, right?  The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads – they all adore him. They think he’s a righteous dude:

On his day off, Ferris Bueller had quite the adventure. From “borrowing” the 1961 Ferrari 250GT of his best friend’s unforgiving father to visiting both the Sears Tower and the Art Institute and finally to singing “Danke Schön” and “Twist and Shout” in front of thousands of Chicagoans, it’s fair to say that no one ever had a day off quite like it.

On Ferris’s agenda that afternoon was, naturally, a trip to Wrigley Field. After grabbing a bite to eat (as “Abe Froman, Sausage King of Chicago”) at a snooty Magnificent Mile restaurant, Ferris and pals headed to the stadium to catch a ballgame.

But which ballgame was it?  Larr has figured it out and explains it all.  Which is why we keep lar around.

By the way: check out that screencap.  I’m guessing the scene wasn’t filmed on the same day of the game footage, but remember back when the Cubs didn’t draw all that well?

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I have since wondered why no one threw a beer on the jerk wearing the Red Wings jersey to a Cubs game. Cameron had it comin’ to him!

• Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM

They just accepted it because Sloane was hot.

• heiniemanush - Feb 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Throw beer at someone in a Gordie Howe jersey at your own risk, bub.

2. Utley's Hair - Feb 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Weren’t the Bears winning 0-0?

3. bloodysock - Feb 7, 2011 at 5:17 PM

That movie came out in mid 1986. It took the guy nearly 25 years to figure it out?

I would hope that if I spent 24 years trying to figure something out it would be for something life changing.

4. yankeesfanlen - Feb 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Now that we’ve solved this little mysatery, what was the parade for? And we must assume, given that his father was at the said snooty restaurant, that it was at 2PM, during the game, and kinda late for a parade, celebrating what?
    Put your best men on it, Craig, now that Lar has opened this can of worms.I hope we don’t have to exhume John Hughes
    I’ll contribute: The restaurant was Chez Quis (read it slowly)

• bloodysock - Feb 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM

The parade was the Von Steuben Parade that is the German American Event of the year and occurs in September on Lincoln Avenue.

5. schmedley69 - Feb 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM

After visiting Chicago for the first time in 2009 and waiting for hours in line at the Sears Tower, I always wondered how Ferris was able to fit all of those events into one day. I guess those were the pre-terrorism days, and you probably didn’t have to wait as long. And I second what Utley’s Hair said. Sloan was hot!

• bloodysock - Feb 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Sloan from Entourage is hotter. Not that the Ferris Bueller version isn’t as well.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

True that. Hottest Sloan ever.

6. cur68 - Feb 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Ahhh, Sloan…she takes me back to when I was young and the world was full of promise and pretty girls and affternoon ball games. Thanks for running this piece. I loved that movie and was quietly infatuated with that girl for months after seeing it. I haven’t thought of her, the movie or even what game it was they were at in years. I did used to wonder about that game (along with if she really did dig erudite nerds with an authority aversion and a penchant for baseball and bad singing). Once again danke schön.

7. bigmacmantle - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:18 AM

I’d agree with “I’m guessing the scene wasn’t filmed on the same day of the game footage, but remember back when the Cubs didn’t draw all that well?” since Granillo says June 5, 1985 whereas a June 27, 1985 article in the Bryan Times indicates Broderick will (as in future) star in the movie and a June 28, 1985 article in The Milwaukee Journal goes further with “…principal photography beginning in Chicago in September for Paramount Pictures.”

• lar @ wezen-ball - Feb 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I was about to say that I think Craig is wrong and that I think they were at that specific game. There is evidence, after all, that the Braves were in Wrigley when they filmed (you can see Braves uniforms in the deep background when Ferris is in the stands).

But that’s some good article snooping. And the Braves did play the Cubs in Wrigley from Aug 29 – Sep 1. The first two games had only 16,000 fans each, so the sparse crowd fits (and, since we’re talking 1985 Wrigley here, they’re all day games).

Very interesting. Thanks.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5100)