Feb 7, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
The Dodgers are planning on wearing throwback uniforms six times this year. Considering that, only the slightest variations notwithstanding, they’ve worn the same duds since around 1938 or so, you won’t be surprised to hear that they’re going way back for this:
The Los Angeles Dodgers will wear throwback uniforms honoring their Brooklyn roots for six games during the upcoming season.The team is asking fans to pick from among three uniform choices.
Fans who vote online at www.dodgers.com/throwback between Monday and Feb. 17 can pick between uniforms that the team wore in 1911 or 1931 or during the 1940s.
The one pictured is the 1940s alternate. Here’s the 1911. Here’s the 1931. They’re all fine. Could have been way, way worse. Or they could have cranked the awful up to 11. But the choices also all pale compared to the usual uniforms the Dodgers wear and are clearly calculated to move product in the form of official jerseys and such. But hey, it’s America and that’s what we do. And Frank McCourt needs the money.
If I had to vote — and I just might — I’d pick one of the first two so that we’re spared another powder blue, which is becoming tired. That is, unless the throwback blues will be made of the same highly-reflective satin of the originals, which would be kind of fun.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)