Feb 7, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
The Dodgers are planning on wearing throwback uniforms six times this year. Considering that, only the slightest variations notwithstanding, they’ve worn the same duds since around 1938 or so, you won’t be surprised to hear that they’re going way back for this:
The Los Angeles Dodgers will wear throwback uniforms honoring their Brooklyn roots for six games during the upcoming season.The team is asking fans to pick from among three uniform choices.
Fans who vote online at www.dodgers.com/throwback between Monday and Feb. 17 can pick between uniforms that the team wore in 1911 or 1931 or during the 1940s.
The one pictured is the 1940s alternate. Here’s the 1911. Here’s the 1931. They’re all fine. Could have been way, way worse. Or they could have cranked the awful up to 11. But the choices also all pale compared to the usual uniforms the Dodgers wear and are clearly calculated to move product in the form of official jerseys and such. But hey, it’s America and that’s what we do. And Frank McCourt needs the money.
If I had to vote — and I just might — I’d pick one of the first two so that we’re spared another powder blue, which is becoming tired. That is, unless the throwback blues will be made of the same highly-reflective satin of the originals, which would be kind of fun.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)