Feb 7, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
The Dodgers are planning on wearing throwback uniforms six times this year. Considering that, only the slightest variations notwithstanding, they’ve worn the same duds since around 1938 or so, you won’t be surprised to hear that they’re going way back for this:
The Los Angeles Dodgers will wear throwback uniforms honoring their Brooklyn roots for six games during the upcoming season.The team is asking fans to pick from among three uniform choices.
Fans who vote online at www.dodgers.com/throwback between Monday and Feb. 17 can pick between uniforms that the team wore in 1911 or 1931 or during the 1940s.
The one pictured is the 1940s alternate. Here’s the 1911. Here’s the 1931. They’re all fine. Could have been way, way worse. Or they could have cranked the awful up to 11. But the choices also all pale compared to the usual uniforms the Dodgers wear and are clearly calculated to move product in the form of official jerseys and such. But hey, it’s America and that’s what we do. And Frank McCourt needs the money.
If I had to vote — and I just might — I’d pick one of the first two so that we’re spared another powder blue, which is becoming tired. That is, unless the throwback blues will be made of the same highly-reflective satin of the originals, which would be kind of fun.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)