You can vote on the throwback uniforms the Dodgers will wear this year

Feb 7, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT

Dodger Throwback.bmp

The Dodgers are planning on wearing throwback uniforms six times this year. Considering that, only the slightest variations notwithstanding, they’ve worn the same duds since around 1938 or so, you won’t be surprised to hear that they’re going way back for this:

The Los Angeles Dodgers will wear throwback uniforms honoring their Brooklyn roots for six games during the upcoming season.The team is asking fans to pick from among three uniform choices.

Fans who vote online at www.dodgers.com/throwback between Monday and Feb. 17 can pick between uniforms that the team wore in 1911 or 1931 or during the 1940s.

The one pictured is the 1940s alternate. Here’s the 1911.  Here’s the 1931.  They’re all fine. Could have been way, way worse. Or they could have cranked the awful up to 11.  But the choices also all pale compared to the usual uniforms the Dodgers wear and are clearly calculated to move product in the form of official jerseys and such.  But hey, it’s America and that’s what we do. And Frank McCourt needs the money.

If I had to vote — and I just might — I’d pick one of the first two so that we’re spared another powder blue, which is becoming tired.  That is, unless the throwback blues will be made of the same highly-reflective satin of the originals, which would be kind of fun.

1. dodger88 - Feb 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Apparently the powder blues have to be made out of the same fabric as the regular uniforms, thus no satin jerseys. If I have to pick one, give me 1931.

2. sdelmonte - Feb 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I like the 1931. I am partial to white caps.

3. twinsfn343 - Feb 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

What no Superbas or Bridegrooms?

4. steve keane - Feb 7, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I wonder with the SF Giants taking the World Sereis trophy to NYC this winter gave the Dodgers the idea to celebrate their Brooklyn past? The Dodgers have never embraced anything to do with Brooklyn even going as far as to sue a bar in Bay Ridge that called itself the “Brooklyn Dodger” the case was heard in court room in downtown Brooklyn and not only did the Dodgers lose the bet, the judge gave the teams attorney’s a verbal spanking with a message to Dodgers ownership (I believe this was during the FOX/Murdoch days) to never ever file a lawsuit like this in Brooklyn ever again.

• dodger88 - Feb 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM

The Dodgers have always embraced the players from the Brooklyn past and not just Jackie Robinson. Unless they wear a B on their caps it is hard to honour the Brooklyn days because the Dodger uniforms have hardly changed over the years, which is a good thing.

• steve keane - Feb 7, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I do remember the LA Dodgers wearing BROOKLYN in home jerseys during throwback weekend a couple of years ago but as a Brooklynite I can say the hate for the Dodgers move to the West Coast is exsists in the older residents of the boro.

Pete Hamill tells the story of two guys taking in a bar and one says to the other, “You’re in a room with Hitler, Stalin and Walter O’Malley. You have a gun with two bullets, who do you shoot”? the other bar patron replies “That’s easy, I’d shoot O’Malley twice”

5. spudchukar - Feb 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Tough call between the 1911 or 1931 throwbacks. Can’t go wrong with either one.

6. andrebeingandre16 - Feb 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

it may be about moving product but its a smart move in my mind since the dodgers rarely use throwback uniforms. i hope they release the vote totals since i think the 1940’s jersey is awful and i would love to see how many people like that one

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3133)