Feb 7, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
The Dodgers are planning on wearing throwback uniforms six times this year. Considering that, only the slightest variations notwithstanding, they’ve worn the same duds since around 1938 or so, you won’t be surprised to hear that they’re going way back for this:
The Los Angeles Dodgers will wear throwback uniforms honoring their Brooklyn roots for six games during the upcoming season.The team is asking fans to pick from among three uniform choices.
Fans who vote online at www.dodgers.com/throwback between Monday and Feb. 17 can pick between uniforms that the team wore in 1911 or 1931 or during the 1940s.
The one pictured is the 1940s alternate. Here’s the 1911. Here’s the 1931. They’re all fine. Could have been way, way worse. Or they could have cranked the awful up to 11. But the choices also all pale compared to the usual uniforms the Dodgers wear and are clearly calculated to move product in the form of official jerseys and such. But hey, it’s America and that’s what we do. And Frank McCourt needs the money.
If I had to vote — and I just might — I’d pick one of the first two so that we’re spared another powder blue, which is becoming tired. That is, unless the throwback blues will be made of the same highly-reflective satin of the originals, which would be kind of fun.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)