Feb 8, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
I’ve noticed that baseball writers are actually using the phrase “best shape of his life” less and less. Probably because it’s becoming a cliche. But here the writers’ conscientiousness works against them! Yes, they are professional enough to quickly eshew cliche in their own writing, but they are also required by the same devotion to professionalism to accurately quote their subjects. Ladies and gentlemen: Andres Torres:
Torres says he works out five or six days a week in the offseason, a minimum of five hours per day. That’s a combination of workouts, including weight training, sprint training and baseball work.
He said he took one week off following the World Series before jumping into serious training.
“I’m in the best shape of my life,” Torres told me Friday. “I’m faster and stronger than I’ve ever been. … Last year I was in shape, but not like this year.”
When I was reading that I could almost see the writer, Scott Ostler, subtly shaking his head and cringing as the money quote drew near.
Or maybe he was smiling to himself because of some secret baseball writer’s bingo game in which they try to get players to unwittingly voice BSOML and other indispensable baseball cliches. Like, if any writer can actually get a player to recite the “Bull Durham” “we gotta play it one day at a time” speech verbatim, the writer collects all the money in the pool or something.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)