Feb 8, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
I’ve noticed that baseball writers are actually using the phrase “best shape of his life” less and less. Probably because it’s becoming a cliche. But here the writers’ conscientiousness works against them! Yes, they are professional enough to quickly eshew cliche in their own writing, but they are also required by the same devotion to professionalism to accurately quote their subjects. Ladies and gentlemen: Andres Torres:
Torres says he works out five or six days a week in the offseason, a minimum of five hours per day. That’s a combination of workouts, including weight training, sprint training and baseball work.
He said he took one week off following the World Series before jumping into serious training.
“I’m in the best shape of my life,” Torres told me Friday. “I’m faster and stronger than I’ve ever been. … Last year I was in shape, but not like this year.”
When I was reading that I could almost see the writer, Scott Ostler, subtly shaking his head and cringing as the money quote drew near.
Or maybe he was smiling to himself because of some secret baseball writer’s bingo game in which they try to get players to unwittingly voice BSOML and other indispensable baseball cliches. Like, if any writer can actually get a player to recite the “Bull Durham” “we gotta play it one day at a time” speech verbatim, the writer collects all the money in the pool or something.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (101)