Feb 8, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
I’ve noticed that baseball writers are actually using the phrase “best shape of his life” less and less. Probably because it’s becoming a cliche. But here the writers’ conscientiousness works against them! Yes, they are professional enough to quickly eshew cliche in their own writing, but they are also required by the same devotion to professionalism to accurately quote their subjects. Ladies and gentlemen: Andres Torres:
Torres says he works out five or six days a week in the offseason, a minimum of five hours per day. That’s a combination of workouts, including weight training, sprint training and baseball work.
He said he took one week off following the World Series before jumping into serious training.
“I’m in the best shape of my life,” Torres told me Friday. “I’m faster and stronger than I’ve ever been. … Last year I was in shape, but not like this year.”
When I was reading that I could almost see the writer, Scott Ostler, subtly shaking his head and cringing as the money quote drew near.
Or maybe he was smiling to himself because of some secret baseball writer’s bingo game in which they try to get players to unwittingly voice BSOML and other indispensable baseball cliches. Like, if any writer can actually get a player to recite the “Bull Durham” “we gotta play it one day at a time” speech verbatim, the writer collects all the money in the pool or something.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)