Feb 8, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
I’ve noticed that baseball writers are actually using the phrase “best shape of his life” less and less. Probably because it’s becoming a cliche. But here the writers’ conscientiousness works against them! Yes, they are professional enough to quickly eshew cliche in their own writing, but they are also required by the same devotion to professionalism to accurately quote their subjects. Ladies and gentlemen: Andres Torres:
Torres says he works out five or six days a week in the offseason, a minimum of five hours per day. That’s a combination of workouts, including weight training, sprint training and baseball work.
He said he took one week off following the World Series before jumping into serious training.
“I’m in the best shape of my life,” Torres told me Friday. “I’m faster and stronger than I’ve ever been. … Last year I was in shape, but not like this year.”
When I was reading that I could almost see the writer, Scott Ostler, subtly shaking his head and cringing as the money quote drew near.
Or maybe he was smiling to himself because of some secret baseball writer’s bingo game in which they try to get players to unwittingly voice BSOML and other indispensable baseball cliches. Like, if any writer can actually get a player to recite the “Bull Durham” “we gotta play it one day at a time” speech verbatim, the writer collects all the money in the pool or something.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (234)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)