Feb 8, 2011, 12:26 PM EST
I’ve noticed that baseball writers are actually using the phrase “best shape of his life” less and less. Probably because it’s becoming a cliche. But here the writers’ conscientiousness works against them! Yes, they are professional enough to quickly eshew cliche in their own writing, but they are also required by the same devotion to professionalism to accurately quote their subjects. Ladies and gentlemen: Andres Torres:
Torres says he works out five or six days a week in the offseason, a minimum of five hours per day. That’s a combination of workouts, including weight training, sprint training and baseball work.
He said he took one week off following the World Series before jumping into serious training.
“I’m in the best shape of my life,” Torres told me Friday. “I’m faster and stronger than I’ve ever been. … Last year I was in shape, but not like this year.”
When I was reading that I could almost see the writer, Scott Ostler, subtly shaking his head and cringing as the money quote drew near.
Or maybe he was smiling to himself because of some secret baseball writer’s bingo game in which they try to get players to unwittingly voice BSOML and other indispensable baseball cliches. Like, if any writer can actually get a player to recite the “Bull Durham” “we gotta play it one day at a time” speech verbatim, the writer collects all the money in the pool or something.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)