Feb 8, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
While the winter is an awful, awful thing for a baseball fan, it has served one healing purpose for Braves fans: it has allowed us to forget about Brooks Conrad’s follies in the NLDS against the Giants. In case you wanted to relive it, however — or if you actually want to find reasons not to hate the guy — there’s a nice profile of him in the AJC today. This part might makes you just want to die, though:
In the first inning of Game 3, Conrad bobbled a double-play ball. Then he dropped a pop-up to right field in the second.
When Posey handcuffed him in the ninth, Conrad’s wife Jessie was in the concourse at Turner Field, taking their 3-year-old son Jaxon to the bathroom. She hadn’t even seen the play. But she heard booing and her heart sank.
“I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, please no,’” Jessie said.
The stuff that follows about his teammates and family rallying around him the night of the game is hanky material.
Spring is upon us and it’s time for renewal. And no one could use it more than Conrad. Here’s hoping that things turn out well for him him in the new year.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)