Feb 8, 2011, 6:09 AM EST
I was somewhat sympathetic to Mark Cuban last week when he got out in front of the Mets speculation by saying “nope, not interested.” I mean, everyone always mentions his name when this stuff happens, so good for him for heading it off at the pass.
Sadly, it seems, that when it comes to getting his name mentioned in connection with a fluid ownership situation, he simply can’t help himself:
Cuban told the Daily News Monday night via email that while no one “representing the Mets” has contacted him thus far, more than one investment group has approached him to gauge his interest in investing in an ownership stake.
Honesty is honesty, so no, I don’t expect someone to lie about such things if asked. But really, Mark: at some point you could offer up a “no comment” when people are poking you about team ownership. Otherwise it sort of looks like you get off on having your name thrown around in these discussions. And you’re certainly far too busy with other matters to engage in such ego stroking exercises, aren’t you?
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (172)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)