Feb 8, 2011, 6:09 AM EDT
I was somewhat sympathetic to Mark Cuban last week when he got out in front of the Mets speculation by saying “nope, not interested.” I mean, everyone always mentions his name when this stuff happens, so good for him for heading it off at the pass.
Sadly, it seems, that when it comes to getting his name mentioned in connection with a fluid ownership situation, he simply can’t help himself:
Cuban told the Daily News Monday night via email that while no one “representing the Mets” has contacted him thus far, more than one investment group has approached him to gauge his interest in investing in an ownership stake.
Honesty is honesty, so no, I don’t expect someone to lie about such things if asked. But really, Mark: at some point you could offer up a “no comment” when people are poking you about team ownership. Otherwise it sort of looks like you get off on having your name thrown around in these discussions. And you’re certainly far too busy with other matters to engage in such ego stroking exercises, aren’t you?
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)