Feb 8, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
Back in November there were some reports of Jarrod Washburn considering a comeback after sitting out all of last season following knee surgery, but Joel Sherman has a note about Washburn in the New York Post that suggests the veteran left-hander won’t be pitching again.
According to Sherman the Yankees “did check into Washburn earlier in the offseason” but “matters did not go far.” Sherman writes that the Yankees would likely consider signing Washburn if he’d accept a minor-league deal and presumably if he was interesting in making a comeback he’d be fine with having to win a job during spring training.
Also interesting: Sherman notes that the Yankees tried to acquire Washburn at the 2009 trading deadline, but rightfully balked at the Mariners’ asking price of Austin Jackson and another prospect. Washburn ended up going to the Tigers for a considerably lesser package and pitched horribly before being shut down, and then in an odd twist of fate Detroit wound up acquiring Jackson as part of the Curtis Granderson trade.
It’s pretty amazing that in the span of eight starts (and one knee injury) Washburn went from his team wanting a prospect the caliber of Jackson in return for him to being out of baseball.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)