Feb 8, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
Mets doctor David Altchek cleared Santana to begin tossing a baseball on Jan. 14, but Santana’s physical therapist in Fort Myers, Fla., preferred the ace first replicate throwing motions doing other excercises. So Santana has been using a “pitch-back”-type netting and throwing a weighted ball against it. He’s also doing a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar -type skyhook motion and bouncing a ball off a wall.
Next up for Santana? The javelin throw. OK, just kidding about that.
It’s not known when Santana will begin throwing a baseball, but he’s not expected to return until June or July.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (77)