Feb 8, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
Mets doctor David Altchek cleared Santana to begin tossing a baseball on Jan. 14, but Santana’s physical therapist in Fort Myers, Fla., preferred the ace first replicate throwing motions doing other excercises. So Santana has been using a “pitch-back”-type netting and throwing a weighted ball against it. He’s also doing a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar -type skyhook motion and bouncing a ball off a wall.
Next up for Santana? The javelin throw. OK, just kidding about that.
It’s not known when Santana will begin throwing a baseball, but he’s not expected to return until June or July.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (333)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (160)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)