Red Sox sign former Yankees reliever Alfredo Aceves

Feb 8, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT

alfredo-aceves-yankees Getty Images

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox have agreed to a major-league contract with reliever Alfredo Aceves, who spent the past three seasons pitching for the Yankees.

New York non-tendered Aceves after he was limited to just 12 innings last season because of a back injury and then suffered a broken left clavicle during a bike-riding accident in Mexico.

Barring a setback he’s expected to be ready by March and he’s a nice buy-low pickup after posting a 3.21 ERA and 87/30 K/BB ratio in 126 innings spread over 54 relief appearances and five starts. If healthy the 28-year-old right-hander will work middle relief for the Red Sox.

UPDATE: Buster Olney of ESPN.com says the deal is worth $650,000, plus another $100,000 in possible incentives. Very worthwhile flier for Boston.

1. kinggeorge96 - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Nice pickup for bahstan… He was good when healthy.

I didn’t realize he was that young. He looks about 35!

• proudlycanadian - Feb 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM

You can ‘t be 100% sure about his age. There is still a possibility that he really is in his 30’s.

2. pisano - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM

uyf1950… I hope this one doesn’t come back and bite Cashman in the ass. It’s just like the Sox to try and sting the Yankees. Hopefully this back problem of Aceves will continue and the Sox will get beat out of six hundred thousand +. I really enjoy it when the Sox get hosed, the worst beating I can think of was Dice-k, that one made the Igawa blunder of the Yankees seem like chump change.

• uyf1950 - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

My friend, I was sorry to see him go. But I certainly understand the Yankee reluctance to tender him first it was his back injury and then he broke in clavicle this past fall/winter. Besides I like the Yankees bullpen and what they have been able to do this winter with Feliciano and of course Soriano. Actually I’m happy to see him sign with Boston. The Yankees are familiar with him so he shouldn’t present to many problems for them if and when he does pitch.
      About Igawa, I will be glad when he finally comes off the Yankees payroll after this year even though he doesn’t take up a roster spot. What a waste.

• garryl1 - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I don’t recall Igawa ever doing anything close to what Dicek has done for the Sox.
      You got to be crazy to think otherwise.

• uyf1950 - Feb 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I admit as I stated above Igawa was/is a waste. But what exactly has Dice K done for his $105M that he cost the Sox (and please don’t give me that you can’t count the posting fee). He’s played for them 4 years now. He’s had exactly one good season 2008. He’s only pitched a complete season worth of starts in one season 2007. For the most part he has been ineffective, inconsistent and a walking advertisement for the disabled list. I’m sure not exactly what the Red Sox fans or management envisioned when they committed over $100M to sign him.

3. baseballstars - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM

As a Yankees fan, this sucks. Aceves was the best long reliever we had for years. He would have stepped in as a starter last year had he not gotten injured. I hate to see him leave, and I’m disappointed Cashman let him go. I completely understand why Boston would pick him up.

• uyf1950 - Feb 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM

My friend I liked Aceves as much as anyone. But I’m not sure how you make the leap from relief pitcher to starter for him in 2010 barring his injuries. In 2009 he appeared in 43 games for a total of 84 innings. Of those 43 games he went 2 or less innings in 34 games, 3 innings in 5 games and 4 innings in 3 games. And in 2010 before his injuries he pitched in 10 games never going more then 2 innings. Those numbers don’t exactly shout starter.

• phukyouk - Feb 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM

take him any day over what we got right now. Ace was money when healthy. for 700K is a no brainer. ill never understand this sh*t

• baseballstars - Feb 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Aceves was a starter in Mexico for years, and was great in long relief for the Yankees in 2009.

• uyf1950 - Feb 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM

My friend that was over 3 years ago in the Mexican minor leagues. Not exactly an overwhelming endorsement to be a starter on the biggest and greatest stage in professional baseball. Would he have been better as a starter then Mitre if it comes to Mitre being a starter? We will never know. Not only because he is no longer a Yankee, but because his injuries prevented that. Time to turn the page on Aceves.

• baseballstars - Feb 9, 2011 at 7:10 AM

We will agree to disagree. I don’t want to make it sound like we just lost Sandy Koufax, but I do think Aceves was one of the most reliable relievers we had and would be a big step up from Mitre. However, he did come with some character issues.

4. bigharold - Feb 8, 2011 at 6:35 PM

It really comes down to how healthy his back is after the surgery.

If he comes back to close to what he was then the RS got themselves a pretty good middle reliever for peanuts. They can say what they want about injuries last year but what really killed them was pitching, especially the pen. It’s not a great big loss for the Yankees but it might provide some help for the RS that they sorely need.

5. phukyouk - Feb 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I hate Cashman.

6. nyyankeefanforever - Feb 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Aceves is a headcase whose sports idol is Dennis Rodman (really, thats why he wears his number). The guy was violating team doctors’ orders when he broke his clavicle on the mountain bike (yep, he was offroad trail riding) and that happened after lying to doctors during spring training last season about his back and wasting three months of rehab time that couldve brought him back before the end of last season iof he’d fessed up and gotten the surgery instead of waiting until end of ST.The Yankees nontendered him because he was likely to ask for, and receive more than a million if he went to arbitration based on his 2009 campaign – and you’d have to be nuts to pay that much and blow a roster spot on a middle reliever you cant trust to do the right thing, hasn’t pitched at all in a year and only had one solid season. Chalk him up to the where are they now list before the season is out. There’s a reason he spent more than seven seasons pitching south of the border, amigo, and it wasn’t he was waiting to be discovered. Loco, and it finally bit him in the ass. Now the Sox will have to bump someone from their roster for the guy instead. Works for me.

• pisano - Feb 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM

nyyankeefanforever….. I wasn’t aware of his history, but I hope Aceves takes a crap on them. Theo will never live down the ass whipping he and Boston took on Dice-K, 100+ million for that loser. I’ll guarantee that not too many GM’s would have kept their job after that screw up. Boston fans, no matter how try to spin the 100 mil it’s still 100+ mil. Good luck with Aceves.

7. jennylenz9 - Feb 9, 2011 at 6:28 AM

I love the free sample site “123 Get Samples” search online to find their official website, that’s where i get most of my samples from!!! yay i love free stuff.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS