The Blue Jays would like to trade Juan Rivera

Feb 8, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v New York Yankees Getty Images

Just in case you had an iota of doubt in your mind that the Vernon Wells deal was all about payroll relief, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Blue Jays would like to trade Juan Rivera.

Rivera is set to earn $5.25 million this season after which he will become a free agent. Rosenthal writes that the 32-year-old outfielder isn’t in the team’s long-term plans, so Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos has made him available. Of course, Anthopoulos has already flipped Mike Napoli — the other part of the return for Wells — to the Rangers for right-handed reliever Frank Francisco.

As of now, Rivera and Travis Snider project to play the corner outfield positions for the Jays, with Rajai Davis in center field and Jose Bautista at third base. Rosenthal doesn’t expect Rivera to be traded before spring training, but if there is a quick resolution, he speculates that the club could sign Scott Podsednik to be their leadoff hitter.

1. proudlycanadian - Feb 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Gosh durn. Rosenthal may have read my previous posts. Once the trade was made, I did write that the Jays would want to trade Rivera. I have written about Toronto’s interest in Podsednik; however, in this case I I was regurgitating a reporter’s story (probably Rosenthal).

2. uyf1950 - Feb 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

May be the Phillies might be interested in him? Since they could use a replacement for Werth.

3. uyf1950 - Feb 9, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Perhaps someone can help me to understand. According to baseball-reference and assuming the Jays move Rivera (and his salary) the Jays will at that point have an estimated payroll (including an estimate for arbitration players) of about $55M for 2011. That payroll and as best I can tell many of the players that make up that payroll are prospects/relatively inexperienced unproven players with some veterans. Obviously as a Yankee fan I have a different perspective of payroll then many fans of other teams on this board. I just don’t see how the Blue Jays expect to compete in the AL East in 2011. Are they trying to position themselves for after the 2011 season.

• seattlej - Feb 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I don’t think the Blue Jays expect to compete this year. Have you noticed them trading away veterans/salary for youth? They’re clearly positioning themselves for 2012 and beyond (and I’m not even sure that they would expect to compete in 2012… it might be more like 2013 and beyond).

• uyf1950 - Feb 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM

That’s what I was thinking. But to read some of the posts on these sites by Jays fans over the past few days you would think they expect to be right in the “thick” of it even next year. That’s just my opinion from what I’ve seen.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate