Feb 8, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
It was reported last month that Albert Pujols and his agent Dan Lozano would cut off contract talks with the Cardinals if an extension wasn’t reached by spring training. We have been operating under the assumption that his self-imposed deadline was going to be February 19. Turns out he’ll be an early arrival.
Craig asked a little bit earlier if we could glean anything from a report that the Cardinals have yet to make an offer for Pujols. He even wondered if perhaps Pujols and/or his agent are beginning to leak information in order to put some public pressure on the Cardinals. We’re not privy to whether the Cardinals were aware of this new deadline prior to this information being reported this afternoon, but moving up the deadline could certainly do the trick.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)