Feb 8, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
It was reported last month that Albert Pujols and his agent Dan Lozano would cut off contract talks with the Cardinals if an extension wasn’t reached by spring training. We have been operating under the assumption that his self-imposed deadline was going to be February 19. Turns out he’ll be an early arrival.
Craig asked a little bit earlier if we could glean anything from a report that the Cardinals have yet to make an offer for Pujols. He even wondered if perhaps Pujols and/or his agent are beginning to leak information in order to put some public pressure on the Cardinals. We’re not privy to whether the Cardinals were aware of this new deadline prior to this information being reported this afternoon, but moving up the deadline could certainly do the trick.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)