Feb 8, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
It was reported last month that Albert Pujols and his agent Dan Lozano would cut off contract talks with the Cardinals if an extension wasn’t reached by spring training. We have been operating under the assumption that his self-imposed deadline was going to be February 19. Turns out he’ll be an early arrival.
Craig asked a little bit earlier if we could glean anything from a report that the Cardinals have yet to make an offer for Pujols. He even wondered if perhaps Pujols and/or his agent are beginning to leak information in order to put some public pressure on the Cardinals. We’re not privy to whether the Cardinals were aware of this new deadline prior to this information being reported this afternoon, but moving up the deadline could certainly do the trick.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)