Wake Forest baseball coach Tom Walter donates a kidney to one of his players

Feb 8, 2011, 8:44 AM EDT

Tom Walter

When a guy makes a boneheaded play and the manager defends him during the presser after the game, that manager is called a “player’s manager.”  We’re probably going to need a new term to describe the lengths Wake Forest baseball coach Tom Walter goes for his guys:

When Tom Walter recruits players, he often describes the family atmosphere at Wake Forest. On Monday, he backed up those words by donating one of his kidneys to a player in need—freshman outfielder Kevin Jordan … Walter said that as soon as he had the support of his family, Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman and his team, donating a kidney to Jordan was a “no-brainer decision.”

“I would do anything to help any one of my players or any of my family members—anything in my power to help them have a better quality of life is something that I want to do,” Walter said.

I have this feeling that I’m going to come down ever harder than I normally do the next time some big league manager throws one of his players under the bus over some silly P.R. thing.

1. Kevin S. - Feb 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Jordan was then declared ineligible for receiving impermissible benefits.

• paperlions - Feb 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM

LMAO!

• Alex K - Feb 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I won’t read a better statement all day. Thank you, Kevin S. You have won the internet for the day

• browngoat25 - Feb 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM

+20

• Innocent Bystander - Feb 8, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Great comment. The funniest jokes are always the ones with some truth in them.

• mrfloydpink - Feb 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM

FTW!

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I had a coworker donate a kidney to another coworkers wife. Sometimes people can be amazing and reinstill some of your faith in humanity.

• trevorb06 - Feb 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Maybe that coworker actually father’s his coworker’s child with his wife, therefore he couldn’t just let the mother of his illegitimate child die in a hospital so he donated her his kidney. :-)

• trevorb06 - Feb 8, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Wow, error central. Don’t do sarcasm half asleep. This shoudl be fatherED his co-worker’s child.

Sarcasm is hard people. :-)

• Jonny 5 - Feb 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Ha!!! couldn’t be. The co worker was female as well.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2784)