Feb 9, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Elmer Dessens has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Giants, with Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reporting that the deal will pay $600,000 if the veteran right-hander makes the team out of spring training.
Dessens spent the past two seasons with the Mets and posted a 2.71 ERA in 80 innings, but that success came from an awful lot of smoke and mirrors as he managed just 30 strikeouts compared to 26 walks.
He’s certainly not a bad pickup on a minor-league deal and Dessens is capable of being a decent middle reliever or long man in the Giants’ bullpen, but don’t expect his 2009/2010 success to continue at age 40.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)