Feb 9, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Elmer Dessens has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Giants, with Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reporting that the deal will pay $600,000 if the veteran right-hander makes the team out of spring training.
Dessens spent the past two seasons with the Mets and posted a 2.71 ERA in 80 innings, but that success came from an awful lot of smoke and mirrors as he managed just 30 strikeouts compared to 26 walks.
He’s certainly not a bad pickup on a minor-league deal and Dessens is capable of being a decent middle reliever or long man in the Giants’ bullpen, but don’t expect his 2009/2010 success to continue at age 40.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)