Feb 9, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
Milton Bradley is still charged with making felony threats, but there’s a chance that things are looking up. As Geoff Baker reports, Bradley’s initial hearing has been postponed until March 9th in lieu of a hearing with the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office. It’s apparently a standard thing in domestic violence cases, done after the heat of the initial incident has died down. At the hearing both Bradley and his alleged victim — his estranged wife — will be interviewed, and then officials will decide whether or not to proceed with the case.
As I noted when this all broke, the law Bradley is charged with violating carries a subjective element. Specifically, his wife had to have taken the threat seriously at the time and had to have been placed “in sustained fear for his or her own safety or for his or her immediate family’s safety.” It’s not like there can be hard physical evidence of such things. If so, it would be an assault case or something else.
So, while we have no idea about the facts of this case, we do know that because of the subjectivity of it the law is one that is way harder to charge and prosecute than many others, and may be one that with the passage of time, renders the complained-of behavior less stark than it seemed in the heat of the moment.
All of which is to say that the interview with the D.A. is no mere formality on the way to a prosecution. The prosecution could very well proceed. Or it could, depending on what the prosecutors hear, end on March 9th.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)