Feb 9, 2011, 2:43 PM EST
Milton Bradley is still charged with making felony threats, but there’s a chance that things are looking up. As Geoff Baker reports, Bradley’s initial hearing has been postponed until March 9th in lieu of a hearing with the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office. It’s apparently a standard thing in domestic violence cases, done after the heat of the initial incident has died down. At the hearing both Bradley and his alleged victim — his estranged wife — will be interviewed, and then officials will decide whether or not to proceed with the case.
As I noted when this all broke, the law Bradley is charged with violating carries a subjective element. Specifically, his wife had to have taken the threat seriously at the time and had to have been placed “in sustained fear for his or her own safety or for his or her immediate family’s safety.” It’s not like there can be hard physical evidence of such things. If so, it would be an assault case or something else.
So, while we have no idea about the facts of this case, we do know that because of the subjectivity of it the law is one that is way harder to charge and prosecute than many others, and may be one that with the passage of time, renders the complained-of behavior less stark than it seemed in the heat of the moment.
All of which is to say that the interview with the D.A. is no mere formality on the way to a prosecution. The prosecution could very well proceed. Or it could, depending on what the prosecutors hear, end on March 9th.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)