Morneau is taking batting practice, feeling good

Feb 9, 2011, 9:56 AM EDT

Morneau catch

I have no idea what I’d be doing if I was a Twins fan these days. Probably freaking out a lot, knowing that the season could very well hinge on Justin Morneau‘s recovery from the least understood malady affecting athletes this side of the yips.  Unfortunately, the placebo effect of tapping various parts of one’s body and focusing on positive energy isn’t enough to bring a guy back from a brain injury.

Fortunately, Joe Christensen has some good news: Morneau has been working out and swinging a bat in the past week or so with no problems reported. He says he’s happy with his progress.

Like all of the other reports we’ve read about Morneau, this one is couched in caution, but you gotta take the positive wherever you can find it.

1. okobojicat - Feb 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I believe that Aaron doing the Yuma Yuma dance in the corner.

2. Jeremiah Graves - Feb 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM

As much as I want Morneau back in the lineup, I want him NOWHERE near that f’n field if he ain’t right in the head. I’d rather the dude miss another half season than go out there and end his career just trying to rush back.

A lot of ignorant fans really got on him about not playing down the stretch last year and I just don’t get it. We’ve all seen what concussions can do to an athlete.

Let him come back at his own pace.

On an unrelated note: I’m really not happy about the middle infield, can we go back in time and bring back Hardy and O-Dawg?

• ThatGuy - Feb 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Im not sure where you saw ignorant fans giving him grief for not playing, but all I saw and heard was support for Morneau and the Twins organization for taking their time and making sure his mind was in the right place for the long term.

• adslazaro - Feb 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM

There was a lot off vitriol in local papers and such when he pulled out of TwinsFest.

• twinsfn343 - Feb 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM

yeah there were/are tons of stupid people saying he’s a baby and for how much money he’s making to play a game he should be out there blah blah blah

3. kander013 - Feb 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I agree on the middle infield issue.

Speaking of Justin, he should wear a skull cap in the field ala John Olerud. He already said he’ll be wearing the new batting helmets.

4. trevorb06 - Feb 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM

If Morneau has to start the season on the DL I won’t complain. Don’t want to see another Corey Koskie here.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3584)