Feb 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
UPDATE: It seems that the traffic to the ballpark pics place from HBT and many other sites is crushing the servers. Last I checked, the stadium renderings were mostly down. Bookmark it, though, and head back later. It’s well worth it.
This page contains images/drawings/renderings of ballparks that never made it out of the planning stage or were significantly altered in final form.
My favorite is probably the dome rendering for the San Francisco Giants circa 1983. It’s like someone plopped Olympic Stadium and all of its charms right on the Embarcadero and had pictures of it taken by some 1950s-era U.F.O. photographer.
The “Chicago Domes” thing looks like clipper ships.
And at the risk of blasphemy, I’ll go on record and say it: we all may have complained about it, but people would probably enjoy themselves a lot more if they had built New Fenway Park. Legroom, don’t you know.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)