Feb 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: It seems that the traffic to the ballpark pics place from HBT and many other sites is crushing the servers. Last I checked, the stadium renderings were mostly down. Bookmark it, though, and head back later. It’s well worth it.
This page contains images/drawings/renderings of ballparks that never made it out of the planning stage or were significantly altered in final form.
My favorite is probably the dome rendering for the San Francisco Giants circa 1983. It’s like someone plopped Olympic Stadium and all of its charms right on the Embarcadero and had pictures of it taken by some 1950s-era U.F.O. photographer.
The “Chicago Domes” thing looks like clipper ships.
And at the risk of blasphemy, I’ll go on record and say it: we all may have complained about it, but people would probably enjoy themselves a lot more if they had built New Fenway Park. Legroom, don’t you know.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 0
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)