Feb 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: It seems that the traffic to the ballpark pics place from HBT and many other sites is crushing the servers. Last I checked, the stadium renderings were mostly down. Bookmark it, though, and head back later. It’s well worth it.
This page contains images/drawings/renderings of ballparks that never made it out of the planning stage or were significantly altered in final form.
My favorite is probably the dome rendering for the San Francisco Giants circa 1983. It’s like someone plopped Olympic Stadium and all of its charms right on the Embarcadero and had pictures of it taken by some 1950s-era U.F.O. photographer.
The “Chicago Domes” thing looks like clipper ships.
And at the risk of blasphemy, I’ll go on record and say it: we all may have complained about it, but people would probably enjoy themselves a lot more if they had built New Fenway Park. Legroom, don’t you know.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 8
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 44
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)