Must-Click Link: ballparks that were never built

Feb 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT

Click Here large

UPDATE:  It seems that the traffic to the ballpark pics place from HBT and many other sites is crushing the servers.  Last I checked, the stadium renderings were mostly down.  Bookmark it, though, and head back later. It’s well worth it.

Say goodbye to your day:

This page contains images/drawings/renderings of ballparks that never made it out of the planning stage or were significantly altered in final form.

My favorite is probably the dome rendering for the San Francisco Giants circa 1983. It’s like someone plopped Olympic Stadium and all of its charms right on the Embarcadero and had pictures of it taken by some 1950s-era U.F.O. photographer.

The “Chicago Domes” thing looks like clipper ships.

And at the risk of blasphemy, I’ll go on record and say it: we all may have complained about it, but people would probably enjoy themselves a lot more if they had built New Fenway Park.  Legroom, don’t you know.

Enjoy.

1. volcanoesfys102 - Feb 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Nice job, guys. You broke the page.

2. marshmallowsnake - Feb 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for making me unemployed as I am sure they will see how much time I am about to spend on this link – LOL!

3. yankeesfanlen - Feb 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

That was a nice tour of Optimum and Yahoo error pages.

4. kinggeorge96 - Feb 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I found this after digging for a few… Try this instead:

5. sdelmonte - Feb 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I got there early, thanks to SB Nation. (Rob Neyer’s change of employer is already paying dividends.)

Boy, everyone used to love wacky dome concepts.

Interesting that the alternate versions of Citi Field held fast to Ebbets-style brickwork. Just as the domed Yankee Stadium was still Yankee Stadium. Have to say, I am glad we didn’t get those domes, in part because you play baseball outdoors, darn it; and in part because I cannot imagine how much higher the bill to the public would have been.

Which makes me wonder if would have been better to do the renovations proposed for LA Wrigley and Riverfront. The rebuilt Anaheim and Kansas City ballparks are gorgeous and cost a lot less, I am sure. A retrofitted Riverfront might have made a silk purse from that sow’s ear of a stadium.

6. jh0088 - Feb 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Thanks to Kinggeorge96 for the link that works… I have to say just seeing the words “New Fenway” felt like it was from some sci fi post apocalypse movie where the US has been wiped out and the remnants of humanity had to rebuild.

New Los Angeles
    New NewYork
    New Fenway

/shudder.

7. Utley's Hair - Feb 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM

So the renovation of the Big Trop would have people in the stands?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5160)