Feb 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
UPDATE: It seems that the traffic to the ballpark pics place from HBT and many other sites is crushing the servers. Last I checked, the stadium renderings were mostly down. Bookmark it, though, and head back later. It’s well worth it.
This page contains images/drawings/renderings of ballparks that never made it out of the planning stage or were significantly altered in final form.
My favorite is probably the dome rendering for the San Francisco Giants circa 1983. It’s like someone plopped Olympic Stadium and all of its charms right on the Embarcadero and had pictures of it taken by some 1950s-era U.F.O. photographer.
The “Chicago Domes” thing looks like clipper ships.
And at the risk of blasphemy, I’ll go on record and say it: we all may have complained about it, but people would probably enjoy themselves a lot more if they had built New Fenway Park. Legroom, don’t you know.
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)