Feb 9, 2011, 5:24 PM EST
In the Rotoworld Draft Guide — which you should totally buy now — I wrote an article ranking the top transactions of the offseason. I included the Mets hiring of Sandy Alderson in the top 10. It was the only non-player signing I mentioned. I mentioned it for good reason. Stuff like what the Daily News is reporting about how he has totally revamped the scouting department:
In contrast to Omar Minaya’s method of assigning pro scouts to a large number of major league teams (special assistant Bryan Lambe, for example, covered the entire National League last year), Alderson’s Mets will charge each pro scout with covering just three organizations, but far more comprehensively than before – from the low minor leagues to the major league club. J.P. Ricciardi will oversee their work.
“I don’t think there is a right way or a wrong way to do it, but this gives you a little more continuity,” Ricciardi said. “Getting guys on a system, from A-ball to Double-A to Triple-A, gives you a better understanding of what the organization is doing.”
I don’t believe for a second that anyone as famously, um, confident as J.P. Ricciardi believes that there isn’t a right way and a wrong way and that he isn’t now in charge of the right way.
And I can’t help but think that giving guys less breadth of responsibility but greater depth will help improve the Mets’ scouting operation.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 13
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)