Feb 9, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Via Jon Weisman over at Dodger Thoughts comes the most inane headline we’ve seen in a while. It’s from the New York Daily News, a paper that seems to think that anyone outside of Brooklyn — let alone anyone inside the Dodgers organization — cares a lick about what people in New York think about the Dodgers going to Los Angeles over half a century ago:
While I suppose there are a lot of people who still wish the Dodgers had stayed in Brooklyn, there are probably only, like, 11 old angry dudes there who actually expect some sort of gesture or apology from the Dodgers over it all. It’s been 54 years. Murderers are let out of jail after less time than that. Anyone expecting the Dodgers to “make amends” at this point probably has some issues he needs to address. And if the Daily News actually realizes this but is simply trying to stir the pot, it should probably realize that there’s nothin’ in the pot. Rabble-rousing is kind of pointless when there’s no rabble.
The Dodgers aren’t trying to “make amends” with their throwback uniforms. They’re trying to make some money. I can all but guarantee you that the feelings of some ancient grudge-holding Brooklyn Dodger die-hards was not a part of the calculus.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead