Feb 9, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets have signed Casey Fossum. Fossum, a lefty, will bolster the bullpen.
I don’t include this because it’s a major deal. It’s not. I include it because Casey Fossum is one of those guys whose existence I completely and utterly forgot. I had to go check and I was shocked that he only spent one year in Japan. His name just sort of screams 2004 to me.
Oh well. While he pitched three games for the Mets in 2009, Fossum’s last significant action in the bigs came as a reliever for the Tigers in 2008. That didn’t go well, as he put up a 5.66 ERA in 31 appearances and allowed baserunners like crazy. It’s sort of been the story of his whole career, actually. Maybe he learned a new trick or two in Japan, however.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona