Feb 9, 2011, 9:33 AM EST
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets have signed Casey Fossum. Fossum, a lefty, will bolster the bullpen.
I don’t include this because it’s a major deal. It’s not. I include it because Casey Fossum is one of those guys whose existence I completely and utterly forgot. I had to go check and I was shocked that he only spent one year in Japan. His name just sort of screams 2004 to me.
Oh well. While he pitched three games for the Mets in 2009, Fossum’s last significant action in the bigs came as a reliever for the Tigers in 2008. That didn’t go well, as he put up a 5.66 ERA in 31 appearances and allowed baserunners like crazy. It’s sort of been the story of his whole career, actually. Maybe he learned a new trick or two in Japan, however.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)