Feb 9, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets have signed Casey Fossum. Fossum, a lefty, will bolster the bullpen.
I don’t include this because it’s a major deal. It’s not. I include it because Casey Fossum is one of those guys whose existence I completely and utterly forgot. I had to go check and I was shocked that he only spent one year in Japan. His name just sort of screams 2004 to me.
Oh well. While he pitched three games for the Mets in 2009, Fossum’s last significant action in the bigs came as a reliever for the Tigers in 2008. That didn’t go well, as he put up a 5.66 ERA in 31 appearances and allowed baserunners like crazy. It’s sort of been the story of his whole career, actually. Maybe he learned a new trick or two in Japan, however.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)