Feb 9, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets have signed Casey Fossum. Fossum, a lefty, will bolster the bullpen.
I don’t include this because it’s a major deal. It’s not. I include it because Casey Fossum is one of those guys whose existence I completely and utterly forgot. I had to go check and I was shocked that he only spent one year in Japan. His name just sort of screams 2004 to me.
Oh well. While he pitched three games for the Mets in 2009, Fossum’s last significant action in the bigs came as a reliever for the Tigers in 2008. That didn’t go well, as he put up a 5.66 ERA in 31 appearances and allowed baserunners like crazy. It’s sort of been the story of his whole career, actually. Maybe he learned a new trick or two in Japan, however.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)