Feb 9, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets have signed Casey Fossum. Fossum, a lefty, will bolster the bullpen.
I don’t include this because it’s a major deal. It’s not. I include it because Casey Fossum is one of those guys whose existence I completely and utterly forgot. I had to go check and I was shocked that he only spent one year in Japan. His name just sort of screams 2004 to me.
Oh well. While he pitched three games for the Mets in 2009, Fossum’s last significant action in the bigs came as a reliever for the Tigers in 2008. That didn’t go well, as he put up a 5.66 ERA in 31 appearances and allowed baserunners like crazy. It’s sort of been the story of his whole career, actually. Maybe he learned a new trick or two in Japan, however.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (351)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (190)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)