The Mets sign Casey Fossum

Feb 9, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT

Casey Fossum

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Mets have signed Casey Fossum.  Fossum, a lefty, will bolster the bullpen.

I don’t include this because it’s a major deal. It’s not.  I include it because Casey Fossum is one of those guys whose existence I completely and utterly forgot.  I had to go check and I was shocked that he only spent one year in Japan.  His name just sort of screams 2004 to me.

Oh well. While he pitched three games for the Mets in 2009, Fossum’s last significant action in the bigs came as a reliever for the Tigers in 2008.  That didn’t go well, as he put up a 5.66 ERA in 31 appearances and allowed baserunners like crazy.  It’s sort of been the story of his whole career, actually.  Maybe he learned a new trick or two in Japan, however.

1. phukyouk - Feb 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM

there goes the NL East.

2. okobojicat - Feb 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I used to play Baseball Mogul and it first came out when Fossum was teaing up AAA so he was a stud prospect. I would always trade for him and sign Dave Magadan for dirt cheap off the Free Agent list.

Its weird he’s still playing because everyone on that game is long gone.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Feb 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I felt the exact same way. I thought he was done after his time with the Red Sox earlier in the decade. Weird stuff…

4. spudchukar - Feb 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Crafty.

5. trevorb06 - Feb 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I traded Jermaine Dye for this guy in my keeper league back in 2004 I believe. Whoops.

6. 18thstreet - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Claim to fame: He was traded to Arizona in part of the package for Curt Schilling in the fall of 2003.

I love this guy.

• phukyouk - Feb 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Curt Schilling. the only person in the world i may like LESS than Youk.

• Brian Murphy - Feb 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Bigger claim to fame: Fossum was once an untouchable prospect. Many potential deals were shot down because Red Sox just wouldn’t give him up, before finally caving for Schilling.

Fossum posted a 5.72 ERA in Japan last year.

7. Ick McWang - Feb 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM

glad he’s back, i remember his stint with the Rays a few years back. We need someone in the bigs who throws an eephus.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4398)