Want Cubs-Red Sox tickets? Feelin’ lucky?

Feb 9, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT

fenway

This summer the Cubs are coming to Fenway Park for the first time since the 1918 World Series.*  It’s gonna be a tough ticket. So tough that the Sox are going to sell them via random drawing.  Yankees tickets too, though I’m guessing they’ve done that before. They’re also drawing for Green Monster seats and for seats on the roof deck in right field.  All of the details for the drawing are here.

Serious question:  are the Monster seats any good?  I mean, I know that they’re probably fun to sit in because, hey, they’re on the Green Monster, but how’s the view?  Are they substantially better than bleacher seats in other parks?  I presume they’re a little bit better seeing as though they’re closer, but are they so much better than your usual outfield seats that they’re worth the enormous expense and that they justify random drawings?  Or is it just hype?

I honestly have no idea.  I just know that I’m usually not all that happy when I have to sit in the bleachers when I go to the ballpark.

*For fun: who can tell me what was unique about the 1918 World Series.  No lookin’ it up either.

1. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Did it go a full nine games?

2. phukyouk - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM

“*For fun: who can tell me what was unique about the 1918 World Series. No lookin’ it up either.”

Jamie Moyer was about 7 yrs old?

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM

It was the first time someone uttered: “Well I guess Mom, do knows best.”

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM

It was the last time I made a sentence without bleeping it up?

3. yankeesfanlen - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

It was the first (and last) time “The Star Spangled Banner” was sung correctly in a sporting venue?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I was the last one to ream the twilight.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I cheated.

• browngoat25 - Feb 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Now you will never be in the Hall of Fame.

5. Jeff J. Snider - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I haven’t been to a game at Fenway, but I did a tour of the stadium when I was in Boston on business this fall, and I would definitely enjoy sitting in the Monster seats for a game. But that comes from someone who loves sitting in the bleachers (probably a remnant of growing up a Dodger fan in a poor family). The view is great from the top of the Monster, and the only thing I DON’T like about going to a baseball game — feeling like the person sitting next to me is almost sitting on my lap — is totally nonexistent up there. The seats are roomy, you sit in your own chair, and you have a little table in front of you to put your food on, etc.

So yes, I will be entering that drawing, and I plan to travel to Boston again this summer and see a game from the Monster.

6. spudchukar - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Casey Fossum got the final out for the Sox?

7. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM

The ban on the derby hat was lifted for a month?

8. Joe - Feb 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The 1918 shut down and the series started early because the US Army wanted players for the Great War.

Also the last Red Sox championship without extensive Curt Schilling interviews.

• Joe - Feb 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The 1918 *season* shut down early.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I’ll give it to Joe. The specific answer is that it was the only World Series to be played entirely in September. And yes, it was because of WWI stuff.

Joe wins one free Internet.

• Joe - Feb 10, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Yay!

9. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM

An old friend of mine is the scoreboard operator at Fenway, and he’s a hardcore Cub fan, so this is a bit extra cool for me.

The Monster has a great view, just don’t expect many home run balls.

10. shaggylocks - Feb 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM

The Monster seats are worth it if you get there early and hang out during batting practice. You’ll leave the game with your pockets full of BP balls.

11. sosascork - Feb 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Comparing to the “rooftop seats” at the houses across from wrigley. They’ve got great, comfortable amenities and while you can see the game, you do feel slightly removed from the action.

But then again nobody’s actually watching the game at Wrigley….

12. JBerardi - Feb 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

The monster seats are pretty good. The seats are comfortable, you get a good view of everything, and you’re not TOO far removed from the action. Way better than the bleachers. That said, they’re not nearly worth the price. The pavilion seats are just as comfortable, but they’re right on top of the infield. And they’re cheaper.

13. rateyourseats - Feb 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Have you sat in the green monster seats? Visit RateYourSeats.com (http://www.rateyourseats.com) to rate your experience there or to read seat reviews from other fans like you.

14. dailylegend - Feb 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Hi, I am a avid Red Sox fans and go to many games at Fenway every year. I have sat everywhere in the park and the Green Monster seats offer the best view period. They are both “cool” and amazing. They are at a perfect hight and offer the best views. I have even sat in the owners seats and I prefer the Monster.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3204)