Feb 9, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
Luis Ayala has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Yankees, according to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
Morosi notes that Ayala “is coming off a strong showing in Mexican winter teague,” where he had a 1.99 ERA and 14 saves, but … well, he hasn’t been any good in the majors for a long time.
In fact, when my beloved Twins signed Ayala to a one-year, $1.3 million deal I hated the move. And that was two years ago.
He didn’t pitched in the majors at all last season, but had a gruesome 6.42 ERA in 48 innings at Triple-A. Before that Ayala went 3-15 with a 5.68 ERA in 116 innings for the Nationals, Mets, Twins, and Marlins in 2008/2009.
If he gets anywhere close to Yankee Stadium in 2011 something went terribly wrong for the Yankees’ bullpen.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)