Feb 10, 2011, 12:51 AM EDT
There is no denying that Jim Joyce and Armando Galarraga will forever be linked in baseball history.
But did they really need to have a book out already?
Yes, that’s right. The pitcher who nearly threw a perfect game last season, and the umpire who blew the call that would have clinched it, have co-authored a book titled “Nobody’s Perfect: Two Men, one Call, and a Game for Baseball History.” The book will be released on May 16 and can be pre-ordered now.
Because the two are now business partners, Ed Price of AOL doesn’t think Joyce should ever call a game behind the plate in which Galarraga – now with the Arizona Diamondbacks – might take the mound.
Nonetheless, baseball must consider the appearance of impropriety. The first time Galarraga got a favorable call from Joyce, right or not, the other team could point to the book deal. Major League Baseball needs to make sure that doesn’t become an issue.
This is no different than if an active player and active umpire decided to start a sports bar together, or opened a car dealership. They both profit from the same business.
There is no questioning the ethics of Joyce and Galarraga. Both men proved their character – and then some – last year. But Price is correct on this. It’s about appearances, and you can’t have an umpire calling games in which the pitcher on the mound is his business partner. As Price points out, MLB has already dealt with a similar situation, as umpire Jim Wolf is not allowed to work behind the plate when brother Randy Wolf is pitching. The same rule should now be applied to Joyce and Galarraga. And if the D-backs put Galarraga in the bullpen, then Joyce should not be allowed behind the plate in any Arizona games.
The commissioner’s office is reportedly looking into the issue, which probably means Bud Selig will send up a weather balloon soliciting opinions on the matter in a couple weeks. We shall see, but it’s pretty clear what needs to be done.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)