Mark Buehrle hoped that Michael Vick would get injured, but MLB.com doesn’t want you to know that

Feb 10, 2011, 9:48 AM EDT

Mark Buehrle

Weird stuff afoot over at MLB.com.

Yesterday afternoon a story by Scott Merkin appeared featuring Mark Buehrle and focusing on his passion for animal rights.  Not surprisingly, the subject of Michael Vick came up.  When the story first went up, the following quote was in it:

“He had a great year and a great comeback, but there were times where we watched the game and I know it’s bad to say, but there were times where we hope he gets hurt,” Mark Buehrle said. “Everything you’ve done to these dogs, something bad needs to happen to these guys.”

I read it when it was published. And Merkin teased the story on Twitter with that exact quote.  But if you go there and read it now, the quote about hoping Vick gets hurt is gone.

I can think of three reasons why the quote might have been excised: (1) it was a total misquote by Merkin; (2) it was supposed to be an off-the-record quote that Merkin mistakenly put on-the-record; or (3) Mark Buehrle, the White Sox, Major League Baseball or someone else complained about it being in there because it made Buehrle look bad and asked that it be removed.*

The first two reasons are defensible (though I would hope for some note of the correction in the piece itself).  Unless I’m simply missing something — and since I am not a trained journalist I admit that I may be — the third reason is not acceptable. Rather, it would tend to put lie to the disclaimer that appears at the end of every MLB.com story: “This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.”

When MLB.com launched I was initially skeptical and believed that we’d get a lot of propaganda pieces.  I have been so happy over the past few years to realize I was totally wrong about that.  The MLB.com folks do a great job for the most part, and I think their beat writers are on par — and often better — than their newspaper counterparts.

But this one troubles me a bit.  I hope there’s an innocuous explanation for it.  I’ll say this much, though:  Merkin is a good writer and reporter and I have a hard time featuring him misquoting a guy in a major fashion.

*It’s beyond the subject of this post, but I question whether the quote makes Buehrle look bad.  Sure, it’s bad form to ever wish injury on someone, but as an animal lover you have to believe that it’s Buehrle’s honest opinion. And I’m guessing he’s not alone in that opinion.

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. mercyflush - Feb 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Who cares if Buehrle said that? he’s got a right to his opinion. for some reason we’re too worried in this country about what people will think or if we offend someone. It bothers me when stuff gets censored for reasons like that, or when the media makes a huge deal out of what people say.

It doesn’t matter what Buehrle’s opinion is. He’s got a right to say whatever he wants, as long as he’s not putting anyone in danger (e.g. yelling fire in a crowded theater). No one should be censoring him or anyone else.

2. shawon0meter - Feb 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM

option 3

3. yankeesfanlen - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I might go for a vriation on option 2- Buehrle may have re-thought his wording (though not his feelings) and worked a semi-retraction.
    Buehrle is also correct- Vick should have been banned from any participation with the NFL.Even though MLB gets its panties in a bunch about just about everything, I’m sure that they would have banned Vick with more vehemance than they did for Charlie Hustle, whose sins are minor by comparison.

• drunkenhooliganism - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM

are you saying that you think MLB would have looked at two years in prison a complete loss of wealth and thought that he hadn’t suffered enough and laid a harsher penalty on Vick?

I can’t wait until they punish all those players and managers for their DUI’s. they’re probably just waiting until they get an even 100 active players with DUI’s to make a big to-do about it

• tomemos - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM

That’s not how it works in journalism. Once you give a quote on the record, it’s on the record. Once the piece is published, it’s published. It’s beyond shady for a subject to ask the writer go back and tinker with a piece because the subject isn’t happy with it.

• Chris K - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I think a lot of people are mistaking MLB.com with some not-for-profit organisation with bleeding hearts for integrity, honour, and freedome of speech.

MLB, and any major news outlet, are there to make MONEY.

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Just because you commit a crime doesn’t mean you lose the right to work. That makes no sense. Do you want to support all former criminals through our taxes? I’d rather them get a job.

Besides, where’s all the clamor that Roethlisberger shouldn’t have been allowed to play again? Or Ray Lewis? Kobe Bryant? Bobby Cox?

Vick abused animals, which don’t even have the capacity to understand that they exist. The other guys abused PEOPLE. Hell, Ray Lewis probably helped kill a guy. Vick served his time. Let it go. You don’t have to root for him and I hate that he is deified for being good football player. But the man served his time and has a right to work.

• paperlions - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Animals most certainly understand that they exist, they know fear, they understand loss, parentage, and they most certainly appreciate mortality better than you seem to. I feel bad for Tim.

• mordecofe - Feb 10, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Tim’s Neighbor, nobody is saying Vick should lose his right to work. Just work in the NFL. NOTHING is barring him from getting a job at Walgreens. I say that somewhat ironically, but in reality, there are a lot of positions for him not in the public eye. He may have to hustle like most people, but he can still work. Geez.

• solidzac - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I can’t be the only one here who wouldn’t get his/her job back after having gone to prison for 2 years, can I?

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I wouldn’t get my job back, either. But I’m sure I’d get a job elsewhere for a different company. Pretty much what Vick did. And why shouldn’t he be allowed to work in the NFL? And what is wrong with working at Walgreens? I think that’s an unfair comment towards people who work in pharmacies. To be honest, I’d be less likely to hire a criminal to work in a place full of drugs than I would be to hire someone to play a sport.

@paperlions Maybe a few animals (bottlenose dolphins, perhaps) have some sort of self-awareness. Dogs, however, don’t have the mental capacity. Sorry, I have three great dogs, but they have tiny brains and can’t grasp intellectual concepts such as their own mortality and existence. Which really isn’t my point. My point is that these other sports figures harmed humans, but no one was hoping that Bobby Cox would tear his ACL and not be able to coach. It just sounds hypocritical.

That wasn’t my point anyway.

• solidzac - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I’m not convinced I’d get a job back in the same industry, at least not at first. Vick getting signed by a team immediately, even as a backup, is a luxury not everyone would be afforded.

And dogs do have some sort of self-awareness. They understand the difference between “me” and “other.” And they certainly understand that “they exist,” as they understand selfishness and self-preservation perfectly.

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Sorry, that last line should be edited out.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Not everyone is as good at their profession as he is. Vick happens to be good at football. Really good. Way better than he is at selling drugs at Walgreens or flipping burgers at Mickey Deez Nutz.

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yeah? We’re definitely going OT here, but, no, dogs are not self-aware. Do they display limited emotions? Sure. But that does not mean that they are self-aware. Does that mean it’s OK to abuse them? Nope. But if people need to eat them to survive, I’d rather a human live than for a dog to live.

Show me a study that proves they have self-awareness. I’ll be waiting.

• solidzac - Feb 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Are dogs “sentient” in the sense (I think) you mean? No. Do dogs exhibit, as I believe I already said, self-preservation? Of course they do, which is reason enough to not abuse or brutally kill them as Vick did. The fact that he did so, to me, personally, signals him to be a person lacking in the ability to empathize with another living thing that feels pain and fear and strives to preserve its own existence. There’s a difference between killing to survive and killing (and maiming and torturing) because you get your jollies out of it.

• kiwicricket - Feb 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM

You obviously have 3 very stupid dogs. Dalmations by chance?

• kiwicricket - Feb 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Dalmatians even?

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 10, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Of course there’s a difference. And I never said that they didn’t display self-preservation. I hate that Vick killed and tortured dogs. I do root for him. But should be allowed to be employed.

But the overall point is, where is everyone yelling that Bobby Cox shouldn’t have had a job after he beat his wife? How about everyone being sickened that Ray Lewis has a job after he helped murder a guy? And Kobe Bryant and Roethlisberger having a job after doing what they did to women? We’re valuing the abuse of non-sentient beings over the abuse of people. That’s crazy to me.

And one of my dogs is indeed pretty dumb. No doubt about it. He’s my special mutt. But the other two aren’t two bad. The Australian is the smartest, but even she doesn’t care about Mike Vick like India Lollar probably cares about what Ray Lewis did her dad.

4. BC - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Buehrle is hoping for something bad to happen? The guy spent 2 years in prison and essentially lost 100 million dollars.

• ja4ed - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Right. And I don’t think it was white collar, resort prison either.

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I’m sorry, I love animals too but if Buehrle is a off base for saying that. Since when is jail time not considered punishment for crimes? Vick has done nothing but positive things since then for animals and for football. Sure he may not have learned his lesson and therefore could do something stupid again, but I personally doubt he will. And even if he does, let’s jump all over him then. I forgive Phillies fans for being Phillies fans all the time, so why can’t we practice some forgiveness on Vick ok?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:31 AM

“I forgive Phillies fans for being Phillies fans all the time”

No pie for you!!!!

It’s cake. Not even good cake, it’s fruitcake.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Amen to that. Initially, I wasn’t exactly enthused about the Vick deal, but that was before I had any idea just what kind of amends he’d made and was going to be making. (Admittedly, it was also partially a smidge hypocritical, in that I felt he should get another shot, just not with my team, though I have since distanced myself from the Eagles based on other stuff like how they treat their veterans and stars.) Now, I hope he re-signs and finds a way to negate the Andychrist and take the Birds to the promised land.

And Jonny, why not throw Heyward a bone—get it?—and give him some steak-and-kidney or mincemeat pie? After all, obviously he’s been brainwashed to think that the Bravos are the team.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Yeah give me some meaty pie, will ya? I think we can all agree beefpie > beefcake, correct?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I said from the beginning that i didn’t understand why they would sign him. They had McNabb and Kolb right?? I don’t condone what he’s done, but I also don’t condone people trying to keep the man from making a living after he srved his time. Well now I see the “why” behind it all, he fits into the offense better than McNabb, period.

As far as Heyward goes, I have the perfect cake for him. it’s an east coast special. a nice chunk of Scrapple.. mmmmmm… Made from back fat, livers and head meat (which i bet he loves) :P I never eat the crap anyway….

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Are you kidding me? Scrapple kicks a$$. I love the stuff. Everything not fit for a hot dog.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Heyward, in my neck of the woods, pie is better than beefcake any day. Except for Jonny5 cake…and his ripped coils and motherboard and…oh, damn. Gotta head to the…um…my uh, car…for something…yeah, that’s it.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Dude it’s made from….. oh wait, that obviously did not bother you… Hey it’s cool, you can share your liver, backfat, head meat, (including tongue and brain) Scrapple “meat” cake with El Bravo then, i don’t eat the crap. I used to work with a slaughterer/ butcher. And i saw things…. I tried it before, it’s not anywhere as good as bacon or sausage imo.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Mmmm baconsausagepie

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM

It cracks me up when holier than thou animal rights activists, who also eat meat speak up. If He only knew what the Cows, chickens, and pigs endured on farms then end up in his belly. In most cases he supports corporations that inflict more punishment on animals than Mike Vick ever has. It’s a double standard because he sees a steak as a steak. Go to vietnam and see how dogs and cats are treated. They’re treated just like our “livestock” and in most cases worse. Just because they are seen as food, and not pets.

• Ace - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You beat me to it! I happen to be an animal rights activist who doesn’t eat meat, and I find the hypocrisy surrounding this case just astounding. What Vick did was reprehensible, but he has been made to shoulder an extremely disproportionate amount of the blame for animal cruelty in this country. He’s small potatoes compared to factory farm-produced meat.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I agree. I eat meat though, I just don’t pretend that I’m something special for supporting animal rights on one hand, then supporting an industry that 10 x worse than Mike Vic.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Mmmm…meeeeaaaat….

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM

And potatoes…

• Maxa - Feb 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Meh. That only gets you so far. Unfortunately, hypocrisy does not always mean that one is wrong. Even if the “activists” in question eat meat themselves, that has nothing to do with the Vick’s crimes. If you want to defend Vick, do it directly.

• solidzac - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM

There’s a difference in people’s minds between animals they keep as pets and animals they don’t. You may think that’s stupid/hypocritical, but if you don’t understand that a distinction exists, I don’t know what to tell you.

7. ronimarie - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I’m not sure who Mark Buehrle is because I’m not into baseball but I can totally relate to what he’s saying about Michael Vick. I’ve said the same exact thing about Vick too.

• tomemos - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:31 AM

If you’re not into baseball, how did you get here? Do you just Google “Michael Vick get hurt” every day?

• drunkenhooliganism - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Just like the young woman who searches for Lenny Dyskstra articles every day.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Seriously. Despite the fact that this blog sometimes veers off in more tangential directions than one of those firework snakes or a deflating balloon (in much the same way as this comment), how would one possibly just happen upon a site titled HardballTalk and with the neatly trimmed outfield on the top banner if that one was not interested in baseball? This ronimarie person is obviously cherrypicking Vick stuff—unless it’s a Buehrle crush/stalking situation.

And fantastic…with the roni part of the handle, I am now stuck with Tender Roni song stuck in my cranial cavity. OUT…OUT, DAMN SPOT!!!!!!!!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

• BC - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

8. Panda Claus - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Luke Scott is happy this morning.

9. yankeesfanlen - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I like pets
    I do not belong to PETA
    I like steak
    I do not live in VietNam
    I do not want Michael Vick to be injured.
    I do want him to go away.

• BC - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I do not eat green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Giants fan huh? :P

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Yup. I’m sure Eli bottle-feeds puppies on golden fields with big puffy clouds overhead.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I heard that. I also heard he lures them there just to give them reach arounds while they lick peanut butter off his nuts. The PERV!!!

10. drunkenhooliganism - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I like Mark Buerhle. I respect his right to have an opinion. and with all the people wishing that Michael Vick would get executed or deserved to die, his opinion is kinda tame.

But: http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2007/09/24/mark-buehrle-killed-a-bear-with-a-bow/

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I like him too, although he’s clearly a bit closed-minded. This doesn’t make him a hypocrite since that bear was killed legally, but c’mon. He says he likes animals? Bears are way too cool and beautiful to be killed. That’s just uncool in my opinion.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Man, an arrow?? That must hurt like hell. I can hear the Bear now (in a deep daddy bear voice) Owww what the f— did you do that for, I’m going to rip your pointy head off you sumbi… ohh I feel woozy… you are going to die …… or not….Thud.

Ok, arrow or shock? which one hurts more? I don’t know, I think this still means he’s a hypocrite El bravo. I mean just because man has written it in law?? Ask A Bear what he thinks about our “laws” I bet he thinks dogs are overprivileged because of animal racism, or something like that.

And yeah, I bet he’s an alright guy still. Just a little close minded as you said.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Geez J5, always pulling the dog-race card…[said in deep daddy bear voice]

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Wait!!!! Mark Buehrle shot Papa Bear? WTF?!? Who’s going to provide for the Bear family now? Mama doesn’t have a paying job. Just wait until Brother and Sister Bear grow up. He’ll get his comeuppance!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I laughed my a$$ off at that. mamma might have to start swinging her purse around on the corner now like goldilocks does.

11. jh0088 - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Vick MURDERED dogs. He drowned them. He shot one in the head.

Stop making apologies for this man. Sports fans identify themselves with and by their sports teams. So if you are an Eagles fan and you are cheering for Michael Vick then you are identifying YOURSELF with a man who MURDERED dogs.

Sure, after going to prison he has the right to find a job. Let him work construction. Let him flip burgers. Let him work in the back of a super market or a Wal Mart as a stock person. But the NFL, the Eagles and their fans have allowed the face of their franchise to be a man who cruely and intentionally murdered animals.

It makes me sick every time that I see Vick on Sportscenter and every time that someone says he paid his debt to society so just let him have a job. He doesn’t just have a job. He has one of the most high profile positions in all of sports and Eagles fans allow themselves to be identified by and with him.

Whenever I hear the words “Philadelphia Eagles” I don’t think of Ron Jaworski anymore. I think of Michael Vick and the animals he personally killed. And if someone is an Eagles fan I wonder if they care at all about the safety of animals. I associate Vick with dog killing. So now I associate the Eagles with dog killing. And I associate Eagles fans with dog killing.

This is the result of putting a man like Vick on your team. It has nothing to do with paying a debt to society because this isn’t really a debt you can pay. It’s something that can never be forgotten.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM

That sounds much like a problem you live with, not me. I watched footage of puppies having their bowels pulled out while alive to be cooked up for dinner. In front of the kids who were just playing with them. Because they are food to those people, not pets. If you eat meat you have a double standard.

• Ace - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM

And let me point out the delicious irony of suggesting Vick “flip burgers” as penance for his crimes.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

God! I didn’t know Gov. Christie did that TOO!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Absurd. You don’t have to forget but forgiveness is part of what we do as a society and is part of any major faith that there is. No one is arguing the severity of his crimes or the need for punishment. If you don’t feel the jail time and all that went with it sufficed, then blame the legal system.

The man’s skill set is football and only football, so why the hell would he try to do one of the other jobs you cite? You no right or basis to distinguish between the NFL and those lower profile jobs. It’s up to the NFL who works in the NFL. It’s up to Wal-Mart who works at Wal-Mart. They have their own respective personnel polices that adhere to the laws of the land. Why do you get to choose which professions can allow ex-convicts and which do not?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Vick is the face of the franchise b/c he’s good at his job: playing football. If he sucked this year, he’d be a LOT less talked about right now and therefore you’d probably not be making this ridiculous argument. So perhaps Vick should apologize for being good at his job too?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Reverse Kurt Warner. It’s doable. If he doesn’t mind trailer park living too much….

• newpairofsox - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM

• newpairofsox - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM

JH– Perhaps you should stop and reflect on all the people in your life who have given you a second chance after you have screwed up. Granted you’re not as famous, but the principle is the same.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Yeah…what he said…twice. ;P

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I am a sports fan. I am an Eagles fan, though admittedly (as I mentioned above) not as much as before. But I have my own identity. I do NOT live and die by what my teams do or don’t do. I have a life outside of sports. If you associate yourself with your teams to that extreme a degree, I would suggest you seek some professional help. And soon.

Why is the NFL any less (or, by extension, McDonald’s, WalMart, supermarkets and construction companies any MORE) able and/or responsible—though that may be an inappropriate word to use here—to employ people who have…wait for it…paid their debt to society for their sins?

By the way, what team(s) are you identified with? The Bengals? Ravens? Lakers? Or is (are) your team(s) comprised solely of saints just waiting for their three miracles to be attributed to them?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I think you nailed it: he’s a Saints fan.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Then I guess I should give him some leeway, since they were bounced by a 7-9 team.

• jh0088 - Feb 10, 2011 at 1:31 PM

The difference between low profile jobs and being an NFL quarterback is pricely the difference that none of you are seemingly able to understand. You root for a team for 20, 30, 40 years. You wear their jersies and all your friends know you’re a fan of so and so team.

As a lifelong fan of a team, you care way more about the team than the players on it do. To them it’s a job. A business decision. They get traded, they become free agents and leave. They’re on the team for a few years, and then they move on. The players don’t actually give a crap about what happens to the team before or after they leave. So the lifelong fan has so much more emotional investment in their favorite franchise than any player.

• jh0088 - Feb 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM

oh, and before you go there. Jim Leyritz should be rotting in a cell somewhere and if the Yankees ever bring him back for an old timers game or something you can be damn sure I am going to be sick to my stomach and will organize some kind of protest.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

1. The players don’t actually give a crap about what happens to the team before or after they leave. So the lifelong fan has so much more emotional investment in their favorite franchise than any player.

- This is untrue. Many players are loyal. See Kerry Wood, who made the stupidest off season decision in baseball (take less money to play on crap team). This point though is not worth arguing b/c it’s off the point completely so I wonder as to why you even raise it.

2. So then add a dog murderer. Go ahead, say it out loud… a “dog murderer” and if you don’t care about that just because he’ll lead you to the playoffs it’s just a pathetic shame.

- DOG MURDERER! How’s that? Of course people care but most have found some level of forgiveness for the guy or at least think he paid his dues. Of course, there is the issue with the MEDIA playing coy and putting him on a pedestal as a renewed man. They don’t know that. We don’t know that. Vick does. He was jailed, lost millions, missed his prime, suspended from football games and will spend the rest of his life helping fight animal cruelty. Whether he’s renewed as a person, time will tell. You can’t judge him on that yet you insist on doing so.

3. I am a Yankee fan and a Cowboy fan. Go ahead, try to claim that Michael Irvin doing lines of coke off of the ass of a dozen strippers equates with putting a bullet in the head of an innocent dog. Try to make that analogy.

- WOW. I mean wow. Do some research. The Cowboys? HA!

4. Dogs should not be food and they should not be considered the property that they are in our society. But that is an entirely different discussion. And we should never allow ourselves to be desensitized to the violence and neglect inflicted against them. Violence that Michael Vick personifies and which the Eagles and their fans that embrace him have decided to ignore and apologize for just because he is a good football player.

- No one is saying we should eat dogs and again you run a tangent. No one is being desensitized about the severity of the crime. You sound desensitized to what jail is like, b/c if you weren’t, you probably think Vick paid his dues. SOME people do forget more easily when the player in question is on their team and are playing well. That much is true.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Dogs should not be food.

Some people feel Cows should not be food either. But it’s ok for you to eat cows that were also “shot in the head”.

Double standard.

I bet Dog tastes pretty righteous mixed with some Sesame oil and greens cooked up in a wok. It must.

• tomemos - Feb 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM

“Dogs should not be food”

jh008, it is finally fair to ask: do you eat meat? If so, get off your high horse.

Pigs are smart; they’re eaten for food. Octopuses are extremely smart; they’re eaten for food. Yet dogs are off-limits? Why? It’s pure cultural difference, nothing more. In fact, it’s similar to the cultural difference that makes animal fighting okay in some cultures and not in others. (By the way, I’ll lay my cards on the table: I’m a vegetarian, I’m glad animal fighting is illegal, I’m glad Vick was punished, and I wish we had more laws to prevent animals–including those we use for food–from being treated cruelly. But I can’t abide hypocrisy.)

And one last thing: I’d love to see you respond to Ace’s point that telling Vick to “flip burgers” as a consequence for animal cruelty is almost beyond belief.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM

There are many recipes for cat too. Bats, rats, you name it.

• dluxxx - Feb 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’m not a Vick fan (or an Eagles fan for that matter) but I think one key piece that you’re missing here is that *because* of his celebrity he is able to do more to help animals now than he would have been able to do as your average ex-con. He is able to donate more money to animal shelters, raise more money through charities and fundraisers, and ultimatly help more animals that are in need because he is a good football player. It doesn’t mean I like him, and it doesn’t mean I necessarily think that he has become some sort of hero or angel now that he’s served time, but I think that what he is doing for animals now will hlep bring about a better life for more animals than what he could do as a “burger flipper” or “stock boy.” I guess it’s just a matter of weather the ends justify the means…

• ta192 - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM

When you heard “Philadelphia Eagles”, you used to think of RON JAWORSKI?????????????
      That’s just weird…

12. jh0088 - Feb 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

For every one person like Mark Buerhle and myself who feel passionate that what Vick did was reprehensible and unforgivable, it’s obvious that there are 1000 people who just don’t give a crap. I stated my case here as to why I think Vick should not be the face of an NFL franchise because he murdered dogs because they werent good enough fighters. He did not kill them for sustenance. He killed them out of sheer unmitigated ignorance and cruelty.

To equate anyone upset at his actions with putting a meal on the table is the saddest kind of point deflection there is.

As to the tangents I went on in my second post, that post was a reponse to all of the replies that tried to explain away the horrendous acts Vick committed by saying that people on other teams did bad things too, that you can’t be angry at Vick if you eat meat, or that god forbid, I was a Saints fan.

I’ll stand by my feelings that the Philadelphia Eagles have tarnished their image by signing Michael Vick and that I think of animal cruelty when that franchise is brought up. If there were more people like me that told the Eagles that when they thought of their franchise they thought of murdered dogs you can bet they’d never have signed him. But alas, is obvious the vast majority of people just don’t give a damn about it.

But I am glad Mark Buerhle, who has a platform, spoke his mind. And yeah, everytime Vick takes the ball from under center I too wish that Lawrence Taylor were there to snap his leg in half like Joe Theisman.

• tomemos - Feb 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM

“He killed them out of sheer unmitigated ignorance and cruelty.”

So you admit that Vick’s ignorance played a part. Ignorance is actually very easy to address. Based on Vick’s actions since his incarceration, I believe he has addressed it.

Cruelty is a stickier wicket. Vick was unquestionably, needlessly cruel to those dogs. That raises the standard on what should be required of him. But the NFL applied a raised standard: it didn’t let things drop once his prison sentence was over, but required him to abide by strict standards and oversight.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

“You can certainly be angry at Vick even if you eat meat; indeed, you should. But anger doesn’t preclude the capacity to forgive. No one is obligated to forgive Vick, but it’s not wrong to do so, and it’s not wrong for the NFL to do so. The point about eating meat was not that there’s no such thing as animal cruelty. The point was that your extreme self-righteousness is laughable and hypocritical.”

Yeah, that’s what I meant to say….well put.

• kiwicricket - Feb 10, 2011 at 9:59 PM

+1 for the cricket ref.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I wasn’t explaining it away at all. It was terrible to use dogs for fighting, and kill them for not performing. It’s done to greyhounds too when they can no longer race. It’s not the same as food, you’re right, but you seem amped over the killing itself, which happens to all kinds of animals for sport and Burhle is doing it too. he’s a bear hunter, which bear isn’t hunted for it’s delicious meat. And 90% of it goes to waste. He’s no better than Vic or anyone else because he kills for sport too. Vick is sorry, he was punished, and I am not required to hold a grudge, if you choose to it’s fine.

• tomemos - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM

It’s so hard to believe that Buehrle said what he said when he’s a hunter. Talk about cultural blinders.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I know! what’s with that anyway?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

“But alas, is obvious the vast majority of people just don’t give a damn about it.”

Repeating your argument doesn’t make it right. It’s still off base. No one here has at any point said that they don’t give a damn. You can’t say the Eagles, their fans or any part of the organization doesn’t give a damn. Stop looking at the black and white picture for a minute and realize that most folks in the middle gray area. That is, he did something terrible and should pay for it. He paid for it. Now he has the right to prove that he learned something and to reenter the workforce (which he’s done a good job at so far). You, on the other hand, insist he be punished eternally and be flip burgers.

THIS IS THE LAST TIME I DEFEND PHILLY FANS FOR ANYTHING EVER! Go Braves!

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

You think we rock, just admit it.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Being a Phillies fan is unforgivable and I will never forget it.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, we rock…. Dumb hatchet hand thingy doer in the half empty stands…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Yeah that is dumb. I can’t do much for seat sales either. But I promise you this, all Phillies fans and their beloved players will die deadly deaths.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Yes we will, and eventually we’ll all burn in hell right along side Vick and Ben Rothhlesbergermeistershmidttyblowmetillyoucrybyforce.

• Ace - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM

jh, I can see that you’re a very passionate animal lover, and I applaud you for that. But I think all that passion could be channeled into something more constructive than hating Michael Vick. As a longtime vegetarian and proponent of animal rights myself, I get frustrated when I see people falling over themselves to condemn puppy killing, as if that made them moral exemplars. Most of us are on the same page there. What I’d really like to see is this discussion lead more people to consider how we as a society treat animals of all kinds.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Just curious, but why pick on Vick so vehemently? Why not go after the St Louis Rams [Leonard Little], Baltimore Ravens [Ray Lewis], Cleveland Browns [Donte Stallworth] for instance? All three of those teams have players who were involved in the killing of people, not dogs, people. And you know what? All three of those men, COMBINED did less time than Vick did for killing dogs.

13. Tim's Neighbor - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I guess I don’t mind Buehrle saying he wants Vick to get hurt. I just hope he was rooting for Roethlisberger to get a crotch injury in the Super Bowl as well. Harming people is worse than harming animals. That’s all I got.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Richard Gere harmed himself AND an animal. Shouldn’t he be executed?

• kiwicricket - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Are you legally allowed to elaborate on this one?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Hey, kiwicricket—I’d say something about Down Under, but…check this out and you’ll understand why I don’t:

14. spudchukar - Feb 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

If I am a chicken, please give me the horrific opportunity to die cockfighting, rather than sent off to the Tyson guillotine.

One man’s pet is another’s entree.

Ever spend two years in the slammer, its a damn long time.

It wouldn’t be burgers that Vick would be flipping, if he were banned from football it would be your sister, or a kilo.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Actually you’re a potato chicken… of sorts spud chukar

• spudchukar - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Can’t argue with that.

15. lessick - Feb 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I do find it annoying that crimes against dogs are somehow deemed worse than crimes against people. We have innocent children being murdered in inner cities and crimes go unsolved, perps are found not guilty–we barely hear a peep, but if a dog is the victim it’s front page news and the accused is public enemy #1. Do we value minority children less than we value dogs? Apparently so.

16. dolinsky191 - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Vick screwed up big time, but he’s still a human being that deserves a second chance.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3853)