Mike Trout probably won’t see the bigs until 2012

Feb 10, 2011, 4:30 PM EST

Los Angeles headline writers are going to have to hold their clever fish-related one-liners for next year, because Mike Trout isn’t likely to make The Show until 2012. Here’s Bill Shaikin:

[Angels GM Tony] Reagins said Angels would start Mike Trout at double-A. In Anaheim by end of season? “I would say it’s unlikely”

Gotta remember that, despite being the top prospect in baseball, Trout is 19.  And it’s not like there’s an obvious place for him in the Angels outfield.  In light of that, I think it makes good baseball sense to keep Trout on the farm for the full year.  Him being in Anaheim is simply not likely to make a major difference in the Halos’ ultimate fate in 2011.

1. fuggles7 - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Or maybe even to the NEXT Memorial Day weekend to keep the arbitration/free agent clock from ticking.

2. trevorb06 - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM

It’ll be fun watching him playing better than Wells in 2012 making about $80million less. :-)

3. indyralph - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I don’t mean to steal the thread here (go Mike Trout!), but is there some kind of weird joke going on here? There is actually at the top of my screen right now, an advertisement with an NFL player endorsing performance enhancing drugs. Craig, I know you’re a PEDs apologist and everything, but really…

4. cowdisciple - Feb 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Craig, stop trolling for Trout jokes.

5. The Sports Minion - Feb 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM

It is interesting to note that one of the most notable Angel players in the last 10-15 years was Tim Salmon, and the most talked about Angel lately is the aforementioned Trout. I can only wish there would be a time they could hit 3-4-5, along with Chet Lemon batting ahead of Trout…

6. jstrizzle - Feb 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I just feel if they called him up now he would look like a fish out of water. That’s the best I got.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester