Feb 10, 2011, 1:41 PM EDT
Milwaukee avoided arbitration with Shaun Marcum by agreeing to a one-year, $4 million deal yesterday, but they don’t appear close to doing the same with Rickie Weeks and Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that they have a hearing scheduled for February 17.
Weeks requested $7.2 million and the Brewers countered at $4.85 million, so it’s not surprising that they’ve yet to come to a compromise over the sizable $2.35 million difference.
Weeks is coming off a career-year that saw him hit .269 with 29 homers, 112 runs, and an .830 OPS. And just as importantly the oft-injured second baseman stayed healthy for 160 games after never playing more than 129 previously, so with just one season to go before free agency he reportedly hasn’t been that receptive to the Brewers’ long-term contract attempts.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)