Feb 10, 2011, 1:41 PM EST
Milwaukee avoided arbitration with Shaun Marcum by agreeing to a one-year, $4 million deal yesterday, but they don’t appear close to doing the same with Rickie Weeks and Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that they have a hearing scheduled for February 17.
Weeks requested $7.2 million and the Brewers countered at $4.85 million, so it’s not surprising that they’ve yet to come to a compromise over the sizable $2.35 million difference.
Weeks is coming off a career-year that saw him hit .269 with 29 homers, 112 runs, and an .830 OPS. And just as importantly the oft-injured second baseman stayed healthy for 160 games after never playing more than 129 previously, so with just one season to go before free agency he reportedly hasn’t been that receptive to the Brewers’ long-term contract attempts.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)