Feb 10, 2011, 1:35 PM EST
Yesterday I talked about how baseball views the Wilpon and McCourt situations differently and about how, because of this, Bud Selig is likely to take a harder stance when it comes to McCourt’s proposed use of TV money vs. Wilpon’s use of SNY money.
Today Ken Rosenthal has his own compare and contrast on it, focusing less on the structure of it all and more on the fact that Bud Selig simply likes Fred Wilpon more than Frank McCourt. After noting the sorts of things Selig could do to make McCourt’s life diffcult, Rosenthal reports:
Conversely, it is almost unthinkable that Selig would exert his influence to take an aggressive posture against Wilpon.
“He’s as close to Fred as he is to anybody in the game,” one former baseball executive says.
“(Selig) will do everything humanly possible to help the Wilpons,” another adds, referring to Fred and his son Jeff, the Mets’ chief operating officer. “He will bend himself into a pretzel to help them.”
The relationship is simply better with Wilpon than it is with McCourt. And, as Rosenthal quotes multiple insiders saying, Bud is a relationships guy.
Good reading from Robo. It catches the palace intrigue flavor of so much that animates the business of Major League Baseball.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)