Feb 10, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT
Yesterday I talked about how baseball views the Wilpon and McCourt situations differently and about how, because of this, Bud Selig is likely to take a harder stance when it comes to McCourt’s proposed use of TV money vs. Wilpon’s use of SNY money.
Today Ken Rosenthal has his own compare and contrast on it, focusing less on the structure of it all and more on the fact that Bud Selig simply likes Fred Wilpon more than Frank McCourt. After noting the sorts of things Selig could do to make McCourt’s life diffcult, Rosenthal reports:
Conversely, it is almost unthinkable that Selig would exert his influence to take an aggressive posture against Wilpon.
“He’s as close to Fred as he is to anybody in the game,” one former baseball executive says.
“(Selig) will do everything humanly possible to help the Wilpons,” another adds, referring to Fred and his son Jeff, the Mets’ chief operating officer. “He will bend himself into a pretzel to help them.”
The relationship is simply better with Wilpon than it is with McCourt. And, as Rosenthal quotes multiple insiders saying, Bud is a relationships guy.
Good reading from Robo. It catches the palace intrigue flavor of so much that animates the business of Major League Baseball.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)