Feb 10, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Late Tuesday night Troy Renck reported that the Rockies were out of the Michael Young derby. Not so fast says Jon Heyman. He tweets that there’s still a disagreement about the sort of player and sort of dollars that would be involved in a trade but that the Rockies “haven’t heard they’re out.”
Who knows? I assume this is simply a matter of Renck talking to person A in the Rockies organization and Heyman talking to person B. For what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing that a team ever officially — like, as a matter of policy — declares itself “out” of any trades, and even if they do internally, they don’t make a habit of announcing it. Teams will always listen to offers and revisit stuff if the terms get better. To do anything else is insane.
My guess is that the Rangers and Young are going to go into radio silence for the next week or so. Then Young will report to Rangers’ camp with everyone seemingly saying the right things, or at the very least trying to. Then, as the sense of the Rangers’ urgency and the sense of Young’s dissatisfaction starts to wane a bit in the marketplace, Texas will try again to unload the guy in a slightly more hospitable environment.
Not saying that will fool anyone, but I think that’s what’s gonna happen.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)