Feb 10, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Late Tuesday night Troy Renck reported that the Rockies were out of the Michael Young derby. Not so fast says Jon Heyman. He tweets that there’s still a disagreement about the sort of player and sort of dollars that would be involved in a trade but that the Rockies “haven’t heard they’re out.”
Who knows? I assume this is simply a matter of Renck talking to person A in the Rockies organization and Heyman talking to person B. For what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing that a team ever officially — like, as a matter of policy — declares itself “out” of any trades, and even if they do internally, they don’t make a habit of announcing it. Teams will always listen to offers and revisit stuff if the terms get better. To do anything else is insane.
My guess is that the Rangers and Young are going to go into radio silence for the next week or so. Then Young will report to Rangers’ camp with everyone seemingly saying the right things, or at the very least trying to. Then, as the sense of the Rangers’ urgency and the sense of Young’s dissatisfaction starts to wane a bit in the marketplace, Texas will try again to unload the guy in a slightly more hospitable environment.
Not saying that will fool anyone, but I think that’s what’s gonna happen.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 3
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)