Feb 10, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Late Tuesday night Troy Renck reported that the Rockies were out of the Michael Young derby. Not so fast says Jon Heyman. He tweets that there’s still a disagreement about the sort of player and sort of dollars that would be involved in a trade but that the Rockies “haven’t heard they’re out.”
Who knows? I assume this is simply a matter of Renck talking to person A in the Rockies organization and Heyman talking to person B. For what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing that a team ever officially — like, as a matter of policy — declares itself “out” of any trades, and even if they do internally, they don’t make a habit of announcing it. Teams will always listen to offers and revisit stuff if the terms get better. To do anything else is insane.
My guess is that the Rangers and Young are going to go into radio silence for the next week or so. Then Young will report to Rangers’ camp with everyone seemingly saying the right things, or at the very least trying to. Then, as the sense of the Rangers’ urgency and the sense of Young’s dissatisfaction starts to wane a bit in the marketplace, Texas will try again to unload the guy in a slightly more hospitable environment.
Not saying that will fool anyone, but I think that’s what’s gonna happen.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)