Feb 10, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Late Tuesday night Troy Renck reported that the Rockies were out of the Michael Young derby. Not so fast says Jon Heyman. He tweets that there’s still a disagreement about the sort of player and sort of dollars that would be involved in a trade but that the Rockies “haven’t heard they’re out.”
Who knows? I assume this is simply a matter of Renck talking to person A in the Rockies organization and Heyman talking to person B. For what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing that a team ever officially — like, as a matter of policy — declares itself “out” of any trades, and even if they do internally, they don’t make a habit of announcing it. Teams will always listen to offers and revisit stuff if the terms get better. To do anything else is insane.
My guess is that the Rangers and Young are going to go into radio silence for the next week or so. Then Young will report to Rangers’ camp with everyone seemingly saying the right things, or at the very least trying to. Then, as the sense of the Rangers’ urgency and the sense of Young’s dissatisfaction starts to wane a bit in the marketplace, Texas will try again to unload the guy in a slightly more hospitable environment.
Not saying that will fool anyone, but I think that’s what’s gonna happen.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)