Feb 10, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Late Tuesday night Troy Renck reported that the Rockies were out of the Michael Young derby. Not so fast says Jon Heyman. He tweets that there’s still a disagreement about the sort of player and sort of dollars that would be involved in a trade but that the Rockies “haven’t heard they’re out.”
Who knows? I assume this is simply a matter of Renck talking to person A in the Rockies organization and Heyman talking to person B. For what it’s worth, I have a hard time believing that a team ever officially — like, as a matter of policy — declares itself “out” of any trades, and even if they do internally, they don’t make a habit of announcing it. Teams will always listen to offers and revisit stuff if the terms get better. To do anything else is insane.
My guess is that the Rangers and Young are going to go into radio silence for the next week or so. Then Young will report to Rangers’ camp with everyone seemingly saying the right things, or at the very least trying to. Then, as the sense of the Rangers’ urgency and the sense of Young’s dissatisfaction starts to wane a bit in the marketplace, Texas will try again to unload the guy in a slightly more hospitable environment.
Not saying that will fool anyone, but I think that’s what’s gonna happen.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte