Brian Cashman doesn’t believe CC Sabathia lost 30 pounds

Feb 11, 2011, 2:14 PM EST

scale help

Earlier this week Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported that CC Sabathia lost 30 pounds during the offseason, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman isn’t buying it.

Here’s what Cashman told Wallace Matthews of ESPN.com after seeing Sabathia in person recently:

I don’t believe it. I saw him at the B.A.T. dinner and he didn’t look like he lost 30 pounds to me. Maybe half that amount. We haven’t weighed him so I don’t now where that number comes from. He obviously has worked very hard to rehab his knee and he’s lost some weight, but he’s still around 300 pounds. Clearly, he’s a tremendous athlete and he can handle it , but it has to be managed so it doesn’t become a problem. I just think 30 pounds would have been a lot more noticeable.

As a longtime fatso who has shed 30-plus pounds on numerous occasions over the years, I can tell you from experience that it’s almost impossible to eyeball whether someone as big as Sabathia has lost 15 pounds or 30 pounds (or, for that matter, gained 15 pounds or 30 pounds). Once you get to be that size–and my guess is Sabathia is well over his listed weight of 307 pounds–the random weight fluctuations are pretty huge and you can easily drop 20-30 pounds in a very limited amount of time.

In other words, Cashman probably can’t accurately gauge Sabathia’s weight just by looking at him wearing a suit at a charity event and someone as big as Sabathia losing 30 pounds in an offseason really isn’t such an impressive feat anyway. I could easily lose 30 pounds by the end of the month. You know, if I wasn’t so lazy and didn’t like Chinese food so much.

Also of note is that this continues Cashman’s offseason-long pattern of saying more and more outspoken things in the media for seemingly no good reason. It started with the Derek Jeter negotiations and extended to telling everyone that he was forced to sign Rafael Soriano for $35 million, and now he’s basically saying “eh, Sabathia still looks like a fatso” following reports that the Yankees’ ace tried to get into better shape.

I’m not complaining, of course, because an outspoken Cashman is a whole lot of fun for guys like me. I’m just not sure what he and the Yankees stand to gain from it. Or maybe I’m just so used to the general manager of my beloved Twins refusing to say anything of interest through the media, ever, that it only seems weird for Cashman to be so open. Or maybe I’m just ornery because I haven’t eaten in a while.

1. uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I’m wondering if it’s muscle now just like Joba’s?

2. spudchukar - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM

As you indicate Aaron, sure sounds like he is saying “Still looks fat to me”.

3. BC - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Maybe he lost it, and then looked around and found it.

4. Panda Claus - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Good point about Cashman’s continued outspoken ways of late. Am I reading into this or does it appear he’s trying to grease the skids out of town? Or maybe he’s goading himself into a showdown with the brothers. All very curious and with little apparent gain (to the team) by doing this.

• psousa1 - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Of late he’s been acting like George Costanza, in the episode of Seinfeld, where he was trying to get fired so he could take a job with the Mets

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM

• sdelmonte - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I find your logic appealing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Yeah, It’s Friday. I had to do it.

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I still believe he happened to had just taken a 30lb deuce.

• cubb1 - Feb 11, 2011 at 4:03 PM

HA

8. fuggles7 - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I’m still trying to figure out how you got that picture of me standing on my scales??

9. billybeaneismyhero - Feb 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM

His statement about CC makes me wonder how Cashman answers his wife when she asks, “Does this dress make me look fat?”

10. cur68 - Feb 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I think you gotta good point here, bra. Waddup with Cashman running his mouth like this about his players? The players are sternly cautioned not to run their mouths or malign the team etc. Hows this guy get to be exempt? God help me, I’m gonna say it: I miss George Steinbrenner. He was always doing crap like this but at least he waited till they were failing the team in some way, didn’t he? He didn’t go out and start crap about his players after they’d played a brilliant season for him, done well in the playoffs and worked hard in the offseason to be better. You could never doubt his motives; he wanted the Yankers to be better. Cashman has nothing to gain the Yankers by maligning, even by association, the best pitcher on his team before he’s even thrown a game pitch in the new season. Is he mental or is he stupid?

11. fellspointbird - Feb 12, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Cashman is a smart guy too. Maybe the writing is on the wall in NY, this is his last year there, and he’s just speaking his mind!

Maybe he’ll be the Orioles GM in 2012!!!

• ditto65 - Feb 12, 2011 at 9:04 AM

He is too smart for that.

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Ahhh…so we vote for mental then, eh? Because writing on the wall or not, he’s hurting his job prospects. Who wants a guy who starts shit about the star pitcher out of nowhere?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4411)