Feb 11, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
Rob Bradford caught up with Daniel Bard in Fort Meyers yesterday and the subject of the young man’s role came up:
“How do you view yourself, as a reliever or a starter?”
“I see myself as a pitcher,” he responded without hesitation following his Thursday workout at the Red Sox minor-league training facility … Bard, a starter in college and throughout his first professional season, likes the idea of perhaps re-entering the world of a starting rotation somewhere down the line.
“I kind of would like to try it. It’s something I would like to do,” said Bard of starting again. “It would kind of challenge myself. You’ve never proven yourself, but I know I can do the reliever thing for myself, just as a personal challenge, [starting] would be cool.”
Some talent evaluator scouty type like Keith Law or Kevin Goldstein recently said on Twitter that Bard is decidedly not cut out to return to starting. I searched around for the discussion but I couldn’t find it, so I’m not sure what the basis was for the assessment.
My sense, though, is that if there is a team who would give a guy every reasonable opportunity to start before making a him into a reliever, it’s the Red Sox. That they have no problem with his current role and have shown no indication to want to change it suggests to me that, no, Bard doesn’t profile at all well as a starter.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 40
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)