Jered Weaver, beware: Players who lose arbitration hearings usually aren’t long for the team

Feb 11, 2011, 3:17 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Texas Rangers Getty Images

Most teams do whatever they can to avoid arbitration hearings, because presenting a case for why a player doesn’t deserve the money he’s asking for can often lead to hurt feelings.

Presenting that case well enough for the three-person arbitration panel to rule in favor of the team can be particularly ugly and Sam Miller of the Orange Country Register found that it may hasten the two sides eventually parting ways.

Miller went back through all the arbitration cases from 2005 to 2010 and found that a total of 17 players lost their hearing. Of those 17 players, Wandy Rodriguez is the only one who later signed a long-term contract to remain with the team that defeated him. Miller, who was framing the issue around Jered Weaver losing his case to the Angels this week, writes that “every other player has either been traded, released, or left as a free agent without signing a long-term extension.”

1. uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Like a poster on the topic of Weaver losing his arbitration case the other day said. This is a case of the Angels winning the battle and losing the war. With Boras as his agent any hope the Angels had of signing him long term before the case went to arbitration is probably gone.

2. Jeremiah Graves - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Weaver to Minnesota in exchange for some cheese curds and a whole heapin’ pile of Minnesota Nice!!

• seattlej - Feb 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Wait… I thought cheese curds was in the Milwaukee organization…

3. clydeserra - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I don’t think Weaver has too much to worry about. The Yankees will love him. Just as much as they loved his brother.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM

He will have a lot of takers if he hits the FA market. If I were him I would demand a trade before the FA class of 2013 there are several pitchers in that class. He stands to gain more by being available earlier.

• seattlej - Feb 11, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I’m not sure what demanding a trade would accomplish as far as when he hits free agency. This was his second year of arbitration, so, unless I’m mistaken, he should hit free agency after the 2012 season regardless of whether he’s traded.

4. indyralph - Feb 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I suspect many arbitration losers are losers because they were too ambitious with their arbitration bids. That same over-estimate of self-worth is probably what drives them to become free agents. I doubt it has much to do with whatever mean things they say about each other during the half-day hearing.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4047)