Matt Holliday willing to defer money to help keep Albert Pujols

Feb 11, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT

pujols-and-holliday

During a radio interview this morning Matt Holliday said he’d be willing to defer some of his salary in an effort to help the Cardinals sign Albert Pujols to a long-term deal.

Matthew Leach of MLB.com has a transcript of the comments:

I deferred $2 million a year for the whole contract and I would be willing, if they came to me and said, “Hey, this is what it’s going to take to get Albert done, would you do it again or do more?” Scott [Boras] probably wouldn’t like me to stay that, but if that’s what it took, I would be willing to do that.

Holliday also made it very clear that the Cardinals haven’t approached him about deferring any money and, when asked later by Leach, called the gesture “very hypothetical.” In other words, don’t expect it to happen. Plus, as Leach points out, what are the odds that a Pujols deal could hinge on an amount of money Holliday would be realistically willing to defer? Holliday has six years remaining on a seven-year, $120 million deal and it’s not like he’s going to defer $10 million per season or anything in that ballpark.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM

You hear that? That faint hissing sound? It’s from the steam beginning to leak from one million Cards fans simultaneously….

• paperlions - Feb 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Beginning?

2. jkcalhoun - Feb 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Holliday plays the Chipper Jones card.

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Matt smells a trade in the making…..

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM

It’s going to have to be one Albert’s liking since he’s a 10/5 player. He’s not going anywhere without his OK.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I was talking about Matt, who is nowhere even close to being the face of the team, where as Sir Albert pffft, it’s a no brainer. If they need to cut a salary through trade, he’s going to be close to the top of the list.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Jonny5 – For some reason on occasion I have trouble determining the meaning of your posts. I apologize, the confusion is obviously on my part.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM

It must me my vastly super intelligent vagueness that throws you off. Or not.

And I wasn’t saying anything about our super stealthy Ninja master making that move, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t want to see it happen.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Jonny5 – That explains it. Until the next topic my friend.

• Alex K - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Rube may be a ninja, but he’s not going to get Holliday.

4. uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Gentlemen, while I do not believe what I am about to post will actually happen I do what to throw it out there as a remote possibility and also as “food for thought” about the Yankees and Pujols.
    Currently the Yankees have team options on 2 outfielders. Granderson for 2012 and 2013 and Swisher for just 2012. What if the Yankees were to do the following:
    . Go after Pujols (assuming he does hit the FA market) hard and actually sign him for say 8 years at $30MM per.
    . The Yankees then trade either Granderson or Swisher. Freeing up a spot in the outfield.
    . They move Jeter to right field or left field and put Gardner in one outfield spot and whichever person the didn’t trade (Granderson or Swisher) in the other spot.
    . That leaves the SS position open. The Yankees can move Nunez in that spot or move ARod back and move Nunez over to 3rd base. Either move it doesn’t matter, but Nunez at SS would be a better option I believe.
    . Then the Yankees for 2012 have to work out Pujols and Tex. Perhaps not as difficult as it seems. If Tex struggles in 2011 with his BA as he has the past 2 years. Then Pujols plays defense 60 to 70% of the time and DH’s 30 to 40% of the time with Tex filling in the difference. If Tex doesn’t struggle then they split the time 50/50.
    Summary, the Yankees saved approximately $15M in salary by trading either Granderson or Swisher moved Nunez to the infield permanently at minimal cost and found a spot for Jeter to finish out his contract/career.
    I’m not saying this is a real possibility, but it does present an interesting concept or like I said “food for thought”.

• paperlions - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Can Yankee fans not make every topic about the Yankees or is that not possible?

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I’m sorry if a Yankees fan perspective on Pujols and a possible landing place offends you. I try for the most part to post thoughtful and intelligent comments although on occasion I might not always succeed. I could always post one word replies like “Beginning?”. Feel free to skip reading my post and that of other Yankee fans if you like when you think they are off topic.

• rmalmstrom - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM

What and post his comments in the thread about this very subject? Why on earth would he do that?

• spudchukar - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I sure don’t blame you for imagining the scenario, but there are 2 problems. One easily overcome, A-Rod cannot play SS any more, but Nunez can and probably should be now. The more difficult problem is DHing Pujols. Knowing him as I do I don’t think there is any amount of money that would convince him to accept that role for any time in the near future. He would have to be guaranteed 140 games at first or no deal.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Well I think I address your first comment in my original post. As I mentioned my preference and I believe the Yankees management preference would be to have Nunez play short. So that’s a non issue. As for Pujols and how much time he would play first base under my proposal. Seventy percent of 162 games is about 115 games. Not that much different than 140 games. In any case that would obviously be part of the negotiations and the Yankees would find out soon enough if that was a deal breaker or not. If it’s something he can live with fine, if he can’t no harm, no foul. The Yankees have nothing to lose one way or another.

• spudchukar - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

UYF, You did address problem #1 in your original post, and I thought I gave you a nod in that direction with the “easily overcome” phrase. With A-Rod’s hip even 3B may be problematic, I hope not, but any conversation about him at SS, is out of the question in my mind. I was simply trying to stress how important the other phases of the game are to Albert. There seems to be a mentality in the AL, and AL East that offense and cash can overwhelm anything, which I do not believe will be the case in this instance.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

spudchukar – I agree that there are other issues involved in this case. The point I was trying to make is the idea of a Pujols and Yankees hook up while I believe won’t happen and is very, very unlikely period it is not completely out of the question because of position issues of the players.

• uberfatty - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Gentlemen, while I do not believe what I am about to post will actually happen I do what to throw it out there as a remote possibility and also as “food for thought” about the YOUR HOME TEAM and Pujols.
      Currently the YOUR HOME TEAM have team options on X outfielders. PLAYER A for 2012 and 2013 and PLAYER B for just 2012. What if the YOUR HOME TEAM were to do the following:
      . The YOUR HOME TEAM then trade either PLAYER A or B. Freeing up a spot in the outfield.
      . They move AGING DEFENSIVELY CHALLENGED PLAYER C to right field or left field and put FAST PLAYER in one outfield spot and whichever person the didn’t trade (PLAYER A or B) in the other spot.
      . That leaves the SS position open. The Yankees can move SUPER EXCITING PROSPECT SS in that spot or move AGING SUPERSTAR back and move SUPER EXCITING PROSPECT over to 3rd base. Either move it doesn’t matter, but SUPER EXCITING PROSPECT at SS would be a better option I believe.
      . Then the YOUR HOME TEAM for 2012 have to work out Pujols and OTHER STAR PLAYER. Perhaps not as difficult as it seems. If OTHER STAR PLAYER struggles in 2011 with his BA as he has the past 2 years. Then Pujols plays defense 60 to 70% of the time and DH’s 30 to 40% of the time with OTHER STAR PLAYER filling in the difference. If OTHER STAR PLAYER doesn’t struggle then they split the time 50/50.
      Summary, the YOUR HOME TEAM saved approximately $15M in salary by trading either PLAYER A or B moved SUPER EXCITING PROSPECT to the infield permanently at minimal cost and found a spot for AGING DEFENSIVELY CAHLLENGED PLAYER C to finish out his contract/career.

…that worked out better in my head. But at least now fans of the other 29 teams in the league can put together scenarios that are completely irrelevant to the discussion.

• Ari Collins - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM

You win 17 internets.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM

uberfatty – I guess then those same fans are free then to determine that your reply is completely irrelevant to the discussion as well.

• Reflex - Feb 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Actually that was probably the most relevant reply in the thread. It should be copied and pasted every time the Yanks masturbate themselves into thinking King Felix is available.

• spudchukar - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM

While I disagree with some of the elements in the comment I fail to see any difficulty with the thought process or imaginative scenarios. It is certainly more thought provoking than a number of posts that are posed here.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Reflex – How’s your insistence about the Mariners building a team around King Felix to make them competitive. How’s that working so far? Probably about as accurate as your belief that the Mariners won’t trade King Felix before his extension expires. That’s right I forgot the Marines just signed Felix’s older brother and Vlad’s nephew. to minor league deals. They should be ready for the big league team by 2016 if ever.
        Since this is just a reply to your off topic post I hope uberfatty isn’t offended.

• uberfatty - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Spud, I think the point isn’t that the thought process of the scenario is wrong. The point is that any fan of any team could put together a similar comment about how Pujols ends up on their team. The post had nothing to do with the Yankees, the Brewers, the Phillies, or any other non-STL team. I guess the question to ask then is why aren’t fans of the other 29 teams spamming random message boards with similar scenarios?

• spudchukar - Feb 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Don’t know. Maybe they don’t realize what a boon the addition would make, and UYF does.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I think other fans realize that he would be great for half of that contract then seriously hurt their chances to sign other players for the second half. Players they’ll need to supplement his declining years. Yankees fans don’t have to worry like that. They sign away… All willy nilly like. ;)

• Reflex - Feb 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

ufy1950 – My point isn’t that they would never trade him. Anyone is available. I’m sure the Yanks could get him today for Cano and Hughes. My point is that he won’t be traded as a ‘salary dump’ because, well, the team can afford him. And a half dozen more like him besides. If he’s delt to the Yankees or anyone, it will be because they feel they are getting more value back than he’s worth.

Which should scare you. If the Yanks acquire him, that means they had to give up an awful lot. Or it means Felix isn’t the Felix he is today. ie: yeah, if Felix goes into a decline I’m sure the M’s would be willing to deal him. As would any team.

My issue is with the implications that only New York can afford Felix. Felix is dirt cheap for the level of starter he is, and the M’s payroll can easily afford him. You are just as well speculating that they’d sell Ichiro off cheap to the Yanks. It just isn’t happening.

5. uyf1950 - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Reflex – I guess we have a completely different view of the Mariners. First let me say I believe I ever said the Yankees were the only team that could afford Felix. In fact I think I’ve made a point in most if not all of my post concerning Felix that he will eventually get traded to somebody not specifically the Yankees.
    Second, you keep insisting the Mariners could afford him and many others. That may or may not be true. But but is apparent at least to me is that they (the Mariners) have NOT shown any inclination to surround Felix with the types of players that would lead you to believe they are willing to do what you say “afford many more players like him”. I’ve also posted in the past that any player worth his salt wants to play for a winner, especially one of Felix’s caliber. Seattle has not and is not in the position to even be competitive let alone a winner. I would not be surprised if at some point BEFORE his contract is up he demands a trade (just like Greinke). What Seattle can get and who they can get if a trade becomes inevitable is yet to be determined and since neither of us has either the expertise of inside knowledge on what Seattle would ask for or what the Yankees would offer in that case your assumption that it would take Cano and Hughes is far more speculative then my assumption that Felix will eventually be traded. Like I’ve said before Felix’s contract I believe runs through 2014 I do not expect him to finish his contract in a Mariners uniform. Who he eventually goes to is anyone’s guess. All I will say is when that day come the Yankees will be in the thick of it along with I’m sure other teams for his services.

• Reflex - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:42 AM

Just remember what Texas had to pay. The M’s have repeatedly been perfectly content to let quality players play out their contracts and not deal them if they don’t feel that they are being offered enough. In fact, that strategy has backfired more than once(Brett Boone, Aardsma, etc).

As for what they can afford, go check out their payroll for the first seven years of the decade. Top five in the game. Their revenues are still top five. They are rebuilding right now, so yes things look pretty bad. But thier farm system is loaded with some very good prospects. Smoak/Ackley/Franklin is a fantastic set of prospects for the infield, and the outfield isn’t bad either. Really its just time and maturity. Given that they have the resources to fill in the few remaining positions I don’t see any reason why they can’t be competitive before 2014.

Three legends off to Cooperstown